Full fermented sourdough brownies step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Sourdough brownies are rich and fudgy chocolate brownies made with a sourdough starter. The best part of this recipe is that the starter is the only form of flour used, which means this is a fermented brownie too. While discard starter works for this recipe, it is best to use an active sourdough starter.
These sourdough brownies are so so good - fudgy and gooey but also have a lighter crumb at the same time because of the addition of starter. You will be surprised how some natural yeast can elevate the crumbs to make it lighter and still give a rich taste to the brownies.
Sourdough starter: Both active and discard starter works for this recipe. If using discard, make sure it is at room temperature.
Chocolate: I use dark cooking chocolate to make these brownies.
Butter: Use unsalted butter for this recipe.
Eggs: I use two large eggs, weighing approximately 100-110 grams.
Sugar: I use raw sugar to make these brownies.
Tips for making perfect sourdough brownies
While discard works for this recipe, it is best to use an active starter. The time it takes depends on the starter. Click here to see how to activate the starter.
If using sourdough discard, make sure it is at room temperature. Let it sit on the counter for at least one hour before use.
Bring the eggs to room temperature before using.
Mix the batter very well after adding the eggs. Once the starter is added, just mix it gently to incorporate the starter.
Do not open the oven during the first 20 minutes of baking, else the brownie will sink.
I prefer my brownie without any fillings. But you may add nuts or dried berries of your choice but the baking time will vary depending on the fillings.
For more sourdough recipes, click here.
This full fermented sourdough brownie:
- rich and fudgy but at the same time has light crumbs
- is very easy to make
- is healthier than regular brownies
- can be made with both discard and active starter
Sourdough brownies recipe video
Sourdough brownies step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Boil water in a saucepan to make a double boiler. In another large bowl, place chocolate and butter, and keep it on the saucepan. Keep stirring and let the chocolate and butter melt completely
2. Add sugar and vanilla extract
3. Add salt, eggs, and baking soda. Mix well
4. Add sourdough starter
5. Incorporate the starter in the chocolate mixture
6. Pour into the prepared baking tin
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-28 minutes
8. Let the sourdough brownie cool completely before slicing
Full Fermented Sourdough Brownies