Gluten-free eggplant pizza bites step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
In my earlier post, I have shared with you my recipe for eggplant feta pizza. This time I am sharing another eggplant pizza bites recipe, but with a difference. This time the eggplants are not the topping, but the base of the pizza (or shall I say mini-pizzas or pizza bites). These gluten-free pizza bites are absolutely delicious and perfect for a light meal. As I do with most of my pizzas, I have given an Indian twist to this pizza as well.
Eggplant is a very versatile vegetable with numerous health benefits. The eggplant or aubergine is a great source of vitamins and minerals. It is an integral part of every Indian kitchen and is featured in the Meditarrian diet too.
To make these mini pizzas/pizza bites, I brushed the eggplant slices with some oil and pre-baked them. I then slathered it with my quick & delicious Indian-style pizza sauce. I kept the toppings really simple – fresh cherry tomatoes, baby spinach, and of course mozzarella cheese (a pizza is not a pizza without cheese right!). I then baked it again till the cheese melted and turned slightly golden, exactly how we love it!
Try this gluten-free eggplant pizza bites recipe and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we do.
Step by step instructions
1. Heat butter and add garlic powder, tandoori spice mix
2. Add tomato puree and simmer
3. Bake the eggplant slices until they are tender
4. Add topping and cheese on baked eggplant slices
5. Bake until cheese melts
Eggplant Pizza Bites
FOR PIZZA BASE:
- 2 large eggplant sliced in ½ inch thick slices
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
FOR PIZZA SAUCE:
- A few cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
- A few baby spinach
- Mozzarella cheese
TO MAKE THE SAUCE:
- Heat butter in a small fry pan. Add garlic powder and tandoori spice mix. Saute briefly (30 seconds)
- Add passata/tomato puree, salt, and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside
TO MAKE THE PIZZA:
- Rub the eggplant slices with salt and let it sit for 15-20 minutes
- Pat the slices using a kitchen towel to remove all the moisture. Arrange on a lined tray
- Apply oil on both sides
- Preheat oven at 200 deg C. Bake the eggplant slices for 20-25 minutes until they are tender
- Remove from oven and spread approximately 1 tbsp of the prepared pizza sauce on each slice
- Top with cherry tomatoes, baby spinach, and cheese
- Put the slices back in the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, until the cheese melts
- Serve hot