Gobi tikka step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Gobi tikka or tandoori gobi is a simple, delicious dish and a perfect alternative for paneer tikka. Cauliflower florets marinated with yogurt and aromatic spices, and roasted to perfection is a great vegetarian starter or snack. Traditionally a tikka is roasted in a tandoor or clay oven. However, this dish roasted in an oven tastes equally good. For a vegan alternative, replace yogurt with cashew and poppy seeds paste.
To make this dish, I prepare a marinade with yogurt, ginger, garlic, besan and spices. I blanch the cauliflower and marinate them in the spice mix. I also marinate onion and capsicum pieces in the same mixture. I then insert skewers into cauliflower and bake in a preheated oven.
Next time you buy a cauliflower, ditch your regular dish and try this yummy recipe and serve it with mint chutney. Or add this to your menu next time you have a barbeque party. I am sure you will love it!
Gobi tikka step by step instructions
1. Blanch cauliflower florets for few minutes
2. Mix all the marinade ingredients together
3. Marinate the cauliflower and set it aside
4. Marinate capsicum and onion pieces, skewer them, and roast in the oven
5. Roast cauliflower skewers until crunchy and completely done
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup capsicum diced (I used a mix of red, yellow and green)
- 1 medium onion diced
- ½ cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon besan (gram flour/chickpea flour)
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- Salt to taste
- Cut the cauliflower into big florets
- Boil sufficient water in a large pot. Add salt and turmeric once it starts boiling
- Add the cauliflower florets and blanch them for 1-2 minute
- Drain the water completely and set aside
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the marinade
- Add the cauliflower to half the marinade and mix well.
- Separately add onion and capsicum in the remaining marinade and mix well (see notes)
- Set aside for 15 minutes
- Preheat oven at 200 C (390 F)
- Insert skewers carefully into the cauliflower stems
- Skewer the onion and capsicum pieces
- Roast the cauliflower, onion and capsicum skewers for 20-25 minutes or until crispy and completely done
- Serve hot with mint chutney