Gravity-defying cake step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
My little girl is 4!!! It feels like just yesterday I held her in my arms for the first time... How time flies.
We had planned a quiet celebration for her birthday this year as we were trying to cope with the changes the newest member of my family brought in. My little big girl is a big sister now and I feel so proud of her when I see her taking care of her little brother.
With no parties or picnics planned, I wanted to bake a special birthday cake for her and when I asked her which cake she wanted for her birthday, her choice was very clear – bake M&M cake!
So here it is. I wanted to attempt a gravity-defying cake (or anti-gravity cake) for quite some time now and what better time than this. I am stoked with my maiden attempt at this cake - it turned out perfect.
For this cake, I baked a chocolate cake in a round tin using my regular recipe for chocolate cake and frosting.
My baby girl is my biggest food inspiration and the reason behind my blog. And she is the main reason I strive to be a better cook and attempt to make & bake these delicious goodies.
This gravity-defying cake is especially for you my baby! Love you to the moon and back.
Gravity-defying cake step by step instructions
1. Cake, frosting, M&M, and chocolate finger biscuits ready for decoration
2. Add a dollop of frosting on the center of the cake stand
3. Place the cake on the frosting
4. Spread the frosting all over
5. Cover the cake completely with the frosting
6. Stick the chocolate finger biscuits all around the cake, leaving an opening in the front
7. Push the straw in the center of the cake
8. Push the M&M buttons all around the straw and cake, including the opening
9. Put some frosting on the straw and stick M&Ms all around
10. The empty M&M pouch needs to be carefully placed on the top of the straw
Gravity defying cake
- Chocolate cake baked in a round tin
- 3 cups icing sugar
- ¾ cup butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2-3 tablespoon milk
FOR DECORATING THE CAKE:
- 2 large bags M&M
- 2 packs chocolate finger biscuits
- Bake the chocolate cake (recipe here) and cool it completely
TO MAKE THE ICING:
- Combine icing sugar and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl
- Add butter, vanilla essence and combine well using an electric mixer
- Gradually add milk and adjust the consistency as per preference
TO DECORATE THE CAKE: (REFER STEP BY STEP PICTURE)
- Add a dollop of frosting on the center of the cake stand. This will help the cake stay in place
- Place the cake on the frosting. Spread the frosting all over
- Cover the cake completely with the frosting
- Stick the chocolate finger biscuits all around the cake, leaving an opening in the front. You may cut the biscuits to size if required
- Take two straws and push one into the other to get the desired length
- Push the straw in the center of the cake
- Push the M&M buttons all around the straw and cake, including the opening
- Put some frosting on the straw and stick M&Ms all around
- Carefully place the M&M empty pouch on to the top of the straw and balance it
- The gravity-defying M&M cake is ready for your special occasion and is a perfect centerpiece for any celebration