Gujarati kadhi step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Gujarati kadhi is a very popular dish from Gujarat, which is made with dahi (or yogurt) and besan (gram flour/chickpea flour). This simple dish is ready in less than 20 minutes and pairs very well with rice and also with khichdi. Kadhi is very cooling and is excellent during the summer. I began to make Gujarati kadhi only recently. We all love it at home and I cook it quite frequently.
This dish tastes best with full-fat yogurt. To make Gujarati kadhi, I whisk the yogurt well making sure there are no lumps. I then add besan, ginger paste, green chilli, turmeric powder, salt, sugar, and water. I bring the mixture to a boil and simmer it until it thickens. It is important to stir the mixture to make sure no lumps are formed. I then prepare a tempering in ghee with whole spices and curry leaves.
I have earlier shared the recipe for Karnataka-style majjige huli, which is also a yogurt-based curry. Here is the Gujarati version of this easy and delicious dish. A hint of sweetness from the sugar and mild tangy taste from the yogurt makes this dish very delicious.
Yogurt: Use full-fat plain yogurt to make kadhi.
Besan: Also known as gram flour or chickpea flour, this adds thickness to the dish.
Sugar: A small amount of sugar is added which balances the tangy yogurt very well. Do not skip it.
Ghee: I use ghee to make the tempering for the kadhi. You may replace it with any cooking oil of your choice.
Spices: Whole spices used in tempering are mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, dried red chilli, and hing.
Herbs: Curry leaves are used in tempering. Coriander leaves, ginger, and green chilli are added along with the yogurt mixture.
Tips and tricks
Make sure you whisk the yogurt very well. If there are lumps, the kadhi will curdle and the texture will not be smooth.
Do not skip sugar as it balances the yogurt very well.
It is best to use room-temperature yogurt.
When you place the kadhi on heat, make sure you are stirring it for the first few minutes until it comes to a boil. Once it beings to boil, reduce the heat and stir occasionally.
Click here for more Gujarati recipes.
Click here for the Karnataka-style majjige huli recipe.
Click here for more yogurt recipes.
This dish is:
- very easy to make and suitable for beginners
- great side dish with rice and khichdi
Step by step instructions
1. Whisk yogurt well making sure there are no lumps
2. Add besan to this
3. Add green chilli, ginger paste, turmeric powder, salt, and sugar
4. Add water and mix well
5. Bring to boil, stirring continuously
6. Prepare the tempering in ghee and whole spices
7. Add the tempering to the kadhi and simmer for 1-2 minutes
- 2 cups yogurt
- ¼ cup besan (gram flour/chickpea flour)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2-3 green chilli finely chopped (or as per taste)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups water
- A few coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 dry red chilli
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4-5 cloves
- 7-8 curry leaves
- A small pinch asafoetida hing
- In a large pan, whisk the yogurt well making sure there are no lumps
- Add besan, green chilli, turmeric, ginger paste, salt and sugar
- Mix everything well making sure there are no lumps
- Add the water and give it a good mix. This mixture will be quite thin and runny at this stage
- Place the pan on medium flame and bring it to a boil. Keep stirring the mixture continously
- Once it begins to boil, reduce the flame and let it simmer on low flame for 8-10 minutes. Keep stiring in between
- Meanwhile, prepare the tempering. Heat ghee in a small pan and add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add cumin seeds, dry red chilli, cinnamon, cloves, curry leaves and hing
- Add the tempering to the kadhi and mix well. Simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Turn off the flame and add coriander leaves
- This kadhi tastes best with slightly sour yogurt
- For a creamy texture, use full-fat yogurt
- Bring the yogurt to room temperature before using
Click here to watch the Gujarati kadhi web story.