Handvo with idli batter step-by-step recipe with photos.
What is handvo
Handvo is a savoury vegetable cake originating from Gujarat. It is part of Gujarati cuisine and is a popular snack across India. It is a mix of fermented lentils and rice which is loaded with vegetables and cooked. It is a simple and easy dish that is healthy and nutritious that is great for breakfast and lunchbox.
Typically, to make handvo, the lentils are soaked, ground and fermented; but here I am using idli batter and adding a few other lentils to it. It’s a great way to make a variation of regular idli or use up any extra idli batter. Traditionally, bottle gourd and fenugreek leaves are added in handvo, but you may add vegetables of your choice. In this recipe, I have used spinach and carrots.
Ingredients to make handvo with idli batter
Idli batter: Idli batter is a fermented batter made with rice and urad dal (black gram).
Toor dal and urad dal: Soaked toor dal (pigeon pea) and chana dal (Bengal gram) are ground into a smooth paste and added to the handvo batter.
Vegetables: I use spinach and carrot in the batter. However, you may add vegetables of your choice like bottle gourd, cabbage, etc.
Spices: I use mustard seeds, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, and hing.
Other ingredients: I also use ginger, garlic, and green chilli to the batter making it very flavourful and delicious.
This dish is:
- vegan friendly
- loaded with vegetables
- very healthy as the batter is fermented
- perfect for lunchboxes as they stay soft and fresh for a long time
This easy, healthy and delicious breakfast/snack is a perfect way to give a twist to your regular idlis. The bonus is that you can load it with hidden vegetables!
This crispy from outside, soft and melt-in-mouth from inside savoury cake is a must-try.
Handvo made with idli batter step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Grind soaked lentils and green chillies into a thick paste
2. Saute spinach along with ginger and garlic
3. Combine the ingredients in a large bowl
4. Mix well. Handvo batter is ready
5. Prepare the tempering in a non-stick pan
6. Pour handvo batter and let it cook
7. Carefully flip it to cook on the other side
8. Serve warm handvo on its own or with chutney
Handvo with idli batter
For the batter
For the tempering