Homemade chole masala powder step-by-step recipe with photos.
Chole masala or chana masala is Punjabi curry made with chole or chickpeas. A unique and aromatic spice blend is used to make this curry. The chole masala powder is a blend of several spices that are dry-roasted, cooled, and ground into a fine powder.
While chole masala powder is easily available in Indian stores, it does not match the taste of freshly ground masala powder. And let us not forget the unique taste it adds to the dish because you can tweak it as per your taste buds. I have been making chole for years and have used store-bought masala powder in the past to make them. But once I started making them at home, there is no looking back. This recipe here is shared by a Punjabi friend of mine and is definitely a keeper. The best part of this masala powder is that you don’t have to add any other spice while making chole. Just this aromatic masala powder, onions, and tomatoes simmered with chickpeas will give you the perfect chole masala ever.
This recipe here gives me approximately 100 grams of chole masala powder. You may choose to half or double the recipe as per your preference.
For more spice blend recipes, click here.
Homemade chole masala powder step-by-step recipe with photos:
1. Gather all the whole spices together
2. Gather the ground spices
3. Dry-roast the red chilli until they puff up and become crispy
4. Dry-roast coriander seeds and cumin seeds until aromatic and golden
5. To this, add green cardamom, seeds of black cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and fennel seeds. Roast for a further 2-3 minute
6. Let the mixture cool down completely
7. Grind into a fine powder
8. Once the whole spices are ground, add the powdered spices to the blender
9. Blend for a few seconds so that everything combines well
Homemade chole masala powder