How to make green moong sprouts easily at home within three to four days.
Green moong/moong gram/mung bean is small green beans that belong to the legume family. Green moong originated from India and is now widely used across the world. They are a very good source of plant-based protein. This low-carb, high protein is one of the most recommended vegetarian superfoods. This versatile legume is used in both savoury and sweet dishes across India. It is also commonly used in salads and stir-fry.
What is sprouting
Sprouting is the natural process by which seeds or legumes germinate and get shoots. It involves activating the seeds or legume initially in water and then letting it sit in a dark spot allowing the germination process.
The health benefits of green moong increase many folds when sprouted. Sprouted moong beans are rich in digestive enzymes, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Check this article to know more about sprouts and sprouting.
Finding the right spot
Homemade sprouts are definitely fresher and tastier than the store-bought ones. Sprouting green gram at home is very easy, although it takes time for the sprouts to grow. It is important to place the green moong in a dark and warm spot for germination. A cupboard near the oven is a good example. If you cannot find a dark spot that is warm, place the container in which you are sprouting in a brown bag and place it over the refrigerator (or any warm spot).
Fun kids project
I find the best part of making green moong sprouts is the fun involved in watching them grow. I do it with my kids and they are so excited to see how the sprouts grow. It is a fun project involving kids as they learn how seeds grow.
Best way to sprout
There are two ways to sprout the green moong - either by placing it in a muslin cloth or by placing it directly in a container. I prefer to sprout them by placing the soaked and drained green moong directly in a container. Remember that you do not need a sprout maker (or any special equipment) to make sprouts. Any regular container will do.
Follow my easy steps and you can make healthy green moong sprouts at home within three to four days.
Use filtered water for soaking and rinsing the green moong. If filtered water is not available, boil regular tap water and cool it completely before using
Make sure you rinse the sprouts every 24 hours
Place the soaked green moong in a dark spot for germination, like a cupboard near the oven. If you cannot find a dark spot that is warm, place the container in a brown bag and place it over the refrigerator (or any warm spot)
Make sure you have cleaned the green moong and removed any stones in it before soaking
Some green moong skin may come off during the sprouting process but that is okay
Handle the sprouts gently as they are very delicate and can break easily
Use sprouted green moong to make a healthy and easy snack - green moong usli.
Step by step instructions
1. Wash and soak green moong in water overnight
2. Day 2 of sprouting. Make sure you rinse the sprouts every 24 hours
3. Day 3 of sprouting
4. Sprouts are very delicate and need to be handled gently while rinsing
5. Fresh and healthy sprouts
How to make green moong sprouts
- 2 cup mung bean
- Filtered water as needed
- Take the green moong and clean it making sure there are no stones
- Wash them thoroughly 2-3 times
- Soak them in fresh water overnight (for minimum 7-8 hours)
- Next morning, discard all the water in which the green moong was soaked
- Rinse the soaked green moong thoroughly
- Transfer the rinsed green moong into a clean and dry container
- Cover the container with a lid and place in a dark and warm spot
- Rinse them every 24 hours. Make sure you handle the sprouts gently as they are very delicate and can break easily
- Sprouted green moong will be ready in three to four days
- Rinse them in a colander before using