How to make tomato puree step-by-step recipe with photos.
What is tomato puree
Tomato puree is a cooking essential made with ripe and juicy tomatoes. It is made by briefly cooking the tomatoes, removing their skin, and then pureeing it. This easy-to-make kitchen essential can be used to make the base of several curries. They can also be used to make sauces and soups.
It's a great way of storing tomatoes when they are in season. Tomato puree can be portioned and frozen too. Making tomato puree at home is very simple and has just three basic steps - blanch the tomatoes, peel them and then puree.
Ingredient and measurements
The only ingredient you need is tomatoes. Use ripe and juicy tomatoes for making the best puree. Here, I have used Roma tomatoes to make the puree. However, any variety of tomatoes work well to make it.
I used 500 grams of tomatoes which gave me 410 grams of puree, which is a little less than 2 cups. You can make the required amount as needed.
Tomato puree versus
Passata: The main difference between tomato puree and passata is that the former is cooked first and then pureed. Passata is made with uncooked tomatoes.
Tomato paste: Tomato paste is a thick paste made by cooking the tomatoes for a long time, reducing all their moisture, straining it, and cooking it again. It is a concentrated form of tomatoes and is thick like a spread.
Canned tomatoes: Canned tomatoes can be crushed, chopped, or whole tomatoes that are usually peeled, processed, and stored for longer shelf life.
In the refrigerator: Tomato puree can be store in the refrigerator for up to one week. Place it in an air-tight container and place it in the refrigerator as soon as you puree it.
In the freezer: It can also be stored in the freezer for up to three months. Portion the puree and place it in a freezer-safe container. The easiest way to portion it is to use an ice tray. Spoon it into an ice tray and let it freeze completely in the tray. Put the frozen cubes in a freezer-safe container.
Recipes to try
Tomato puree is widely used in making sauces and dips. In Indian cooking, it can be used instead of fresh tomatoes in curry bases. Make and store it when tomatoes are in season and then use them throughout the year.
Here are some recipes in which you can use it.
This homemade tomato puree is:
- very easy to make
- perfect for using in curry bases
- free from any preservatives
Click here for more cooking basics and kitchen hacks.
How to make tomato puree
1. Make small slits on the tomato using a sharp knife
2. Boil water in a saucepan and add the tomatoes
3. Let it boil for 2 minutes
4. Remove from water and let it cool slightly
5. Carefully peel the skin of tomatoes
6. Let the peeled tomatoes cool down completely
7. Blend it into a smooth puree
This gave me 410 grams which is a little less than 2 cups
Homemade Tomato Puree
- 5 large tomatoes (500 grams)
- Water as needed
- Wash the tomatoes. Make small slits on the tomato using a sharp knife
- Take water in a saucepan and bring it to boil
- Add the tomatoes and let it boil for 2 minutes
- Remove from the water and let it cool down slightly
- Carefully peel the skin of tomatoes
- Let the peeled tomatoes cool down completely
- Blend it into a smooth puree
- Tomato puree is ready to be used or stored