Hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani step-by-step recipe with photos.
Hyderabadi Vegetable Dum Biryani – a dish from the land of the nawabs – Hyderabad. Having lived in Hyderabad for a couple of years, it’s only obvious that you will fall in love with this royal dish. The Hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani is made with whole spices and is absolutely aromatic and yum.
The Hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani is prepared in three main steps – cooking the rice with whole spices, cooking the vegetable gravy, and layering them all, and slow cooking on steam or dum. It sounds complicated, but trust me it is not.
There are two pressure points in the cooking process – taking care the rice doesn’t overcook while boiling and taking care the onion is golden and caramelised but not burnt. The texture of rice must be just done but still have a good bite to it (similar to al dente in pasta). The onions take time to get golden brown but can burn in seconds once it reaches that stage. So it is important to keep an eye on it and take care not to burn it. Also, it is important to use a thick bottom pot with a tight-fitting lid for cooking the biryani.
Cooking the rice, vegetables, and spices on dum makes it highly aromatic and full of flavours.
For more rice dishes, click here.
Hyderabadi vegetable biryani step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Boil water with whole spices
2. Cook rice until almost done
3. Saute whole spices in ghee for gravy
4. Add Onions. Fry till golden brown
5. Add vegetables and saute
6. Add whisked yogurt
7. For assembly, add half of the cooked vegetables
8. Add half of rice and saffron milk
9. Add half of mint and coriander leaves
10. Add remaining cooked vegetables on top
11. Add remaining rice, saffron milk, mint and coriander leaves
12. Place the pot on a griddle and seal the sides of the pot with aluminium foil
Hyderabadi style vegetable dum biriyani served with raita
Vegetable dum biryani
FOR THE RICE:
FOR THE GRAVY:
TO MAKE THE RICE:
TO MAKE THE GRAVY: