Indian style pasta step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
The good old versatile pasta with an Indian twist - also famously known as Indian style pasta or masala pasta. Masala pasta is also a famous street food in India. I make this pasta with my favourite vegetables, and either paneer or chicken to add a nice depth (here I have used paneer). In this dish, I only use Indian spices and not Italian herbs like oregano.
We love pasta and it only makes perfect sense to cook pasta with the flavours we love the most. This dish is delicious, filling, and has the right amount of spices. A fiery pasta sauce combined with perfectly cooked penne, mellowed with vegetables and paneer (or chicken) is a dish you will want to come back to.
This dish can be altered as per your liking and preference. You may choose any pasta of your liking. You can replace the paneer with tofu and replace butter with olive oil to make it vegan. You may choose to alter the spice level depending on your preference. Top it with some cheese and bake it for a tasty pasta bake!
Super delicious and perfect for lunchboxes. Try this desi pasta and treat your tastebuds 🙂
Click here for more fusion recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Fry the paneer pieces in some butter
2. Saute onion and capsicum
3. Saute cooked pasta with salt and red chilli powder
4. Add remaining butter and fry garlic
5. Add tomato puree, spices and simmer
6. Add pasta, veggies, paneer and mix well
- 2 cups pasta (I used penne)
- 1 small onion diced
- 100 grams paneer diced
- 1 cup capsicum sliced (I used a mix of green, yellow and red)
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ cup tomato puree passata
- 1 tsp red chilli powder or as per taste
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- A few coriander leaves to garnish
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water as per packet instructions until al-dante. Drain and set aside
- Heat a large frypan and add 1 tbsp butter. Lightly fry the paneer pieces and set aside
- In the same pan, add the pasta. Add 1 tbsp butter, salt, and ½ tsp chilli powder. Toss the pasta on high heat for 1-2 minutes and set aside
- Add onion and capsicum and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- Reduce the flame to medium and add remaining butter. Add garlic and saute for a few seconds.
- Add tomato puree, remaining red chilli powder, salt, cumin powder, coriander powder, and simmer till tomato is cooked. Add garam masala and mix well.
- Add the pasta, paneer, onion, and capsicum and mix well.
- Check seasoning and adjust if required.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve
- It is important not to overcook the vegetables so that they retain the crunch
- You may add other vegetables of your choice e.g. zucchini, broccoli, etc.
- For a vegan option, replace paneer with tofu and butter with olive oil