Indian style zucchini stir-fry step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Zucchini is not a common vegetable in India. I started cooking with it only after moving to Melbourne. And mostly used it in pizza and pasta. When my daughter started solids, zucchini and peas were her favourite puree. She loves this vegetable a lot and zucchini fritters and zucchini muffins are regular for her. We also love to use it as a topping on our pizza. But I wanted to try it out as an Indian dish. When I made it in the form of palya or stir fry, it was an absolute hit in our family. Juicy, tender zucchini cooked with mild spices is a great pair with rotis. Try this dish next time you buy them!
Zucchini is rich in nutrients and most of it's nutrients are in its skin. Zucchini skin is soft, thin and cooks very easily. So don't peel it while cooking.
To make this zucchini stir fry, I make a tempering of cumin seeds, curry leaves, and hing (asafoetida). I then saute freshly grated ginger in it. I then mix it with zucchini, spices, and cook till tender. So simple, yet so delicious!
Click here for more curry and side dish recipes.
Click here for more Karnataka recipes.
Zucchini stir fry step by step instructions
1. Cut zucchini into cubes
2. Temper spices in oil
3. Add zucchini and cook till tender
4. Add garam masala and amchur powder
5. Mix well and increase the flame so that the excess moisture evaporates
Zucchini stir-fry (palya)
- 2-3 medium zucchini cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ inch ginger grated or ½ tsp ginger paste
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 dry red chilli
- ½ tsp chilli powder or as per taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp amchur
- ½ tsp garam masala
- A few coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat a frying pan or kadhai and add oil. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter
- Add dry red chilli, curry leaves, ginger and saute for a few seconds
- Add the zucchini cubes and mix well. Add chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt
- Simmer and cook covered until the zucchini are almost done
- Add garam masala and amchur powder. Mix well and increase the flame so that the excess moisture evaporates
- Turn off the flame, garnish with coriander leaves and serve
- No additional water needs to be added as zucchini release lots of water
- Make sure the zucchini doesn’t overcook else it will turn mushy