Jeera rice step-by-step recipe with photos.
If there is one rice dish that is as simple as making steamed rice, it is this: Jeera rice. There is not a single curry or dal I can think of that doesn’t go with jeera rice. So simple to make and takes just 20 minutes, this versatile dish is a sure keeper.
This dish is a part of most of my thalis, mini thalis, and everyday food. I make it so often, I am surprised I didn’t have this recipe on my blog 🙁
There are two ways of making this dish, first method: prepare the cumin tempering and add cooked/leftover rice, and the second method: prepare the cumin tempering, add uncooked rice and cook it all together. Both ways taste great but I prefer the second one. I also add a handful of green peas which makes it more delicious. You may choose to skip the green peas, but they definitely make the dish tastier.
Have it with a side dish of your choice and it will surely be a comforting, satisfying meal.
For more rice dishes, click here.
Jeera rice step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Heat a thick bottom pan and add ghee. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, and cumin seeds
2. Once the cumin seeds splutter, add the rice and mix well
3. Add salt and peas
4. Add water and bring it to boil
5. Cover and cook until the rice is done and the water is completely absorbed (approximately 18-20 minutes)
6. Turn off the heat and gently mix everything well
7. Jeera rice ready to be served