Keema biryani step-by-step recipe with photos.
Keema is nothing but minced meat. Keema biryani or lamb mince biryani is a flavourful rice dish that is made with lamb mince and aromatic whole spices. The lamb biryani is prepared in three main steps – cooking the rice with whole spices, cooking the lamb mince gravy, and layering them all and slow cooking on steam or dum. It sounds complicated, but trust me it is not.
I have earlier shared the recipe for making vegetable biryani. The process is similar, with subtle changes.
There are two pressure points in the cooking process – taking care the rice doesn’t overcook while boiling and taking care the onion is golden and caramelised but not burnt. The texture of rice must be just done but still have a good bite to it (similar to al dente in pasta). The onions take time to get golden brown but can burn in seconds once it reaches that stage. So it is important to keep an eye on it and take care not to burn it. Also, it is important to use a thick bottom pot with a tight-fitting lid for cooking the biriyani.
Cooking the biryani on dum makes this dish very aromatic and flavourful.
Keema biryani step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Cook rice with whole spices and spread on a wide plate
2. Heat ghee and saute whole spices
3. Fry onion, ginger, garlic, and spice powders
4. Add the lamb mince and fry for a few minutes
5. Add yogurt, water, and cook
6. Add peas and cook completely
7. Spread half the lamb gravy in a thick bottom pan
8. Spread half the rice on top
9. Spread coriander leaves, mint leaves, and saffron-infused milk
10. Spread remaining lamb
11. Spread remaining rice
12. Seal completely and simmer on 'dum'
13. Biryani ready after 'dum'
14. Mix the biryani gently
FOR THE RICE:
FOR THE GRAVY:
TO MAKE THE RICE:
TO MAKE THE GRAVY: