Kheer (rice pudding) step-by-step recipe with photos.
Kheer or rice pudding is a famous dessert from India made by slow-cooking rice in milk and sweetening it with sugar. Probably one of the most common desserts, especially in north India, this simple rice pudding is made with just three main ingredients. In Bengal, this dish is called payesh and is made with a special variety of rice called ‘gobindo bhog’. The aroma that this particular short-grain rice adds to the kheer is unmatchable. This rice is not available here, so I use basmati rice to make the kheer. You may use any white rice available to make kheer.
Mushy rice grains infused with milk, perfectly sweetened with sugar and slight nuttiness with cashew and almonds is a delight. Make it for special occasions... Or just to treat your tastebuds... You will love every spoonful of it!
For more dessert recipes, click here.
Kheer (rice pudding) step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Boil milk in a heavy-bottom pan and add the soaked rice
2. Stir well and let the rice cook
3. Let the rice completely cook in the milk
4. At this stage add sugar and mix well
5. Add chopped nuts and raisins
6. Add the saffron
7. Let the kheer cool down and then refrigerate