Lachha paratha step-by-step recipe with photos.
Lachha paratha is a popular north Indian flatbread made with whole wheat flour. This multi-layer flaky, yet soft paratha is made by creating many pleated folds while rolling the paratha. It is similar to the malabar paratha but is healthier as lachha paratha is made with whole wheat flour.
Lachha paratha tastes really good despite the fact that there is no filling in it. They are great for lunch boxes too as they stay soft for longer. They are quite simple to make once you know how to get the pleats right. Pair it with a curry of your choice and some pickle for a great meal.
Lachha paratha step-by-step recipe with photos
1. In a large bowl, add the flour and salt. Add oil and mix well with your fingers
2. Gradually add water and knead into a smooth and soft dough
3. Pinch out a lemon sized dough and roll it into a thin disc
4. Apply ghee all over it and dust it with some flour
5. Start pleating from one edge and slowly go to the other end
6. Keep pleating until you reach the other end
7. Begin from one end and start rolling the pleated disc tightly
8. Roll the pleated disc tightly into a circle
9. Tuck the end well and gently press it
10. Repeat with rest of the dough
10. Roll it into a slightly thick disc
11. Heat a tawa or griddle. Place the rolled paratha on it and let it cook for 1-2 minutes
12. Flip over to cook the other side. Apply 1 tsp ghee
13. Flip again and gently press using a spatula or wide spoon. Apply some oil and flip again till done
Lachha Paratha served with baingan bharta (eggplant roast) and carrot halwa for a completel meal