Lamb and Spinach Curry | Lamb Palak | Saag Gosht) step-by-step recipe with video and photo.
About this recipe
Lamb and spinach curry is traditionally known as saag gosht (saag means a leafy green vegetable, usually spinach, and gosht means the meat of goat or lamb). This dish is very popular all over India, especially in North India.
Lamb and Spinach Curry is a powerhouse of nutrition, where one of the most nutritious elements of the vegetable world and the meat world come together. While lamb is a great source of complete protein and a good source of animal fat, spinach is well known for its high content of vitamins and minerals along with antioxidants and chlorophyll. This dish also contains an assortment of spices along with onions and tomatoes which have a lot of health benefits as well.
Palak: Palak means spinach in Hindi.
Lamb: This dish can be made with either lamb or goat meat.
Onion and tomato: They are used to make the base gravy of the dish.
Ginger and garlic: I use lots of garlic in my recipe as it pairs very well with spinach.
Spices: The whole spices I use are bay leaves, black cardamom, cumin seeds, and cloves. The powdered spices I use are garam masala, amchur (dried mango powder), and chilli powder.
Ghee: I prefer to make this dish with ghee; however, you may replace it with cooking oil of your choice.
Kasuri methi: Kasuri methi is dried fenugreek leaves. This is an optional ingredient but I highly recommend not to skip it.
Tips for making the best Spinach and Lamb Curry | Lamb Palak | Saag Gosht
Transfer the blanched palak to iced water immediately. This will help in retaining the colour of the spinach.
Do not skip the tomatoes. It makes the dish very flavourful.
Do not skip Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) even though it is an optional ingredient. It pairs very well with this curry and adds a nutty flavour to the dish.
You can use goat instead of lamb in this dish. As goat meat takes a long time to cook, you may want to pressure cook the goat with some salt and whole spices till it's tender.
Cook the lamb on high heat initially till it's brown all over, then reduce the heat and cook till it's tender.
Add the spinach gravy to the lamb once the lamb is tender.
Soft and succulent pieces of lamb in the mildly spiced spinach gravy is a pleasure for the taste buds. Here are some accompaniments recipes that can be paired with lamb and spinach curry for a complete meal.
Click here for more lamb and goat recipes.
Lamb and Spinach Curry recipe video
Lamb and Spinach Curry | Lamb Palak | Saag Gosht step-by-step recipe with photo
1. Wash and clean the spinach
2. Blanch spinach in boiling water
3. Puree the spinach
4. Heat ghee and add cumin seeds, bay leaves, black cardamom, and cloves
5. Add onions and fry till it is light golden
6. Add ginger, garlic, and green chilli
7. Add amchur, chilli powder, salt, and kasuri methi. Saute for a minute
8. Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes until they become soft
9. Add garam masala. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the spices and tomatoes are cooked
10. Add the spinach puree
11. Simmer for 5-6 minutes and set aside
12. In a separate pan, heat 1 tbsp ghee. Add the lamb pieces
13. Cook the lamb on high heat until it browns from all sides. Then add some water and let the lamb cook till it's tender
14. Add the spinach gravy and simmer for 5 minutes
Spinach Lamb Curry (Lamb palak / Saag gosht)