Lauki Sabzi / Lauki Chana Dal Sabzi step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
Lauki sabzi / lauki chana dal sabzi is a vegan curry made with bottle gourd (known as sorekayi/doodhi/ghiya) and chana dal (split Bengal gram). This simple and healthy vegan curry tastes great as a side dish and can also be eaten on its own as a low-carb meal. This curry is perfect for weekday meals and lunchboxes.
This wholesome dish is balanced with flavours and is a perfect home-style curry full of nutrition. Bottle gourd is rich in iron, vitamins, and dietary fiber. It also helps in blood sugar control, weight loss, digestion - to name a few. Chana dal or Bengal gram is a great non-meat source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. It is also high in fiber and has a very low glycemic index.
Bottle gourd: Use fresh and tender bottle gourd which has light green skin.
Chana Dal: Chana dal or split Bengal gram is soaked and used here.
Spices: The powdered spices I use are coriander powder, turmeric, chilli powder, and garam masala. The whole spices used are cumin seeds and bay leaves.
Onion and tomatoes: These form the base of the curry.
Ginger, garlic, chilli: Ginger and garlic adds a great flavour. Adjust the amount of green chilli as per your preference.
This dish tastes very good with roti or plain paratha. They go well as a side dish with rice too. This wholesome dish is so filling, it can be enjoyed on its own too as a low-carb meal.
Try lauki sabji with these dishes.
Lauki chana dal sabji stays fresh in the refrigerator for three to four days. It can also be frozen and stays good for up to three months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and heat it well before serving. Make sure the dish is completely cooled before storing, and store it immediately after it is cooled.
Tips for making perfect Lauki Sabzi
Wash the chana dal thoroughly before soaking it. Soak chana dal for an hour and drain the water before adding it. Soaking chana dal helps soften them easily.
Once the bottle gourd and chana dal is cooked, lightly mash some of it. This will add thickness to the curry.
You may choose to use a pressure cooker to make this dish. However, I prefer to cover and cook rather than pressure cook. Pressure cooker may turn the bottle gourd very mushy which may ruin the texture of the curry. Cover and cook it, and keep stirring occasionally. This way, you will be able to check when it is done.
I prefer to make this dish slightly spicy; however, you may adjust the amount of chilli as per your taste preference.
I highly recommend not skipping on lemon juice as it balances the dish very well and elevates the taste.
You can also make this dish with moong dal (yellow lentil) instead of chana dal. Bottle gourd can be swapped for any other squash or even zucchini. Note that the cooking time will vary depending on the type of squash.
This lauki sabzi is:
- very easy to make and suitable for beginners
- tastes great just by itself and is very filling as a low-carb meal
Click here for more bottle gourd recipes.
Lauki Sabzi recipe video
Step by step instructions
1. Heat oil in a frying pan or kadhai and add cumin seeds and bay leaves
2. Once the cumin seeds splutter, add the onion. Saute on medium heat until the onion is translucent
3. Add ginger, garlic, and green chilli. Saute until the raw smell of ginger and garlic goes
4. Add tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chilli powder, and salt. Mix well
5. Cover and simmer until the tomatoes are soft and oil beings to release
6. Add chana dal and bottle gourd. Add 2 cups water and bring to boil
7. Cover and cook until the bottle gourd and chana dal are completely cooked. Keep stirring occasionally
8. Add garam masala, coriander leaves, and lemon juice. Mix well
Lauki Chana Dal Sabzi
Click here to watch lauki chana dal sabzi web story.