Cholar dal is a popular Bengali dal usually prepared on special occasions. This delicious dish is made with Bengal gram, whole spices, and coconut, and is on the sweeter side. The aroma from whole spices and the texture from coconut makes it very unique. Cholar dal is a great accompaniment with luchi (Bengali deep-fried puffed bread).
This simple dal full of flavours is perfect for a weekend brunch. Here is how I make Cholar dal. Do try it and let me know how you like it.
Cholar dal step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Boil chana dal with whole spices, turmeric and salt
2. Heat ghee and prepare the tempering
3. Add cooked dal, raisins, turmeric and sugar
4. Add water and adjust consistency
5. Simmer until dal thickens, then add fried coconut pieces