Mirror glaze galaxy cake step-by-step recipe with photos.
We all adore a pretty mirror glaze galaxy cake which has taken the world by storm. Bright and shiny mirror glaze capturing a slice of the galaxy is a delight to the eyes. Trust me it is totally worth trying. I made the galaxy cake for my son’s first birthday and the without a doubt it was loved by all of us, especially the birthday boy.
I used chocolate cake with buttercream frosting here but you can choose to use any of your favourite frostings. I also baked a chocolate cupcake and glazed it to give a little planet effect. There is so much to play around with – the colours, the sparkles you use, the patterns you can create! For this recipe, I have used blue, red, green and white colours.
Not just whole cake, you can use this method to glaze cupcake, mousse, cake pops and ice cream cake.
This is a project worth trying but remember to read the below points carefully before starting. The mirror glaze galaxy cake is truly out of the world, and definitely one of the prettiest thing you would bake.
Follow my step-by-step guide and bring a slice of the galaxy straight to your table.
For more dessert recipes, click here.
Points to remember:
- Bake and frost the cake. Place it in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours
- Choose a base colour which would make most of the glaze. Choose three or four more colours to drizzle and create a pattern
- Mix the glaze gently taking care there are no bubbles formed (as the bubbles tend to stick onto the cake). If there are too many bubbles, pass the glaze through a sieve
- The glaze would be runny when it is hot. Remember to cool it slightly (around 35 degrees C). If the glaze is too runny, it will not stick to the cake
- At the same time, it is important to note that we cannot wait too long to cool the glaze as the gelatine tends to set. The glaze should be slightly thick pouring consistency
- Place the cake on a wire with a tray under it. The tray is needed to catch all the excess glaze
- Once the cake is decorated, scoop out all the remaining glaze from the tray and place them in air-tight containers in refrigerators. They can be reused for up to six months. Just reheat it in a microwave in 10-second bursts until the glaze reaches the correct consistency
- The mirror glaze retains its shine for up to 24 hours
Mirror glaze galaxy cake step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Place the gelatine and cold water in a small bowl and allow it to absorb all the water
2. Combine ¾ cup water, condensed milk, and caster sugar in a heavy-bottom saucepan and bring it to a boil
3. Turn off the heat and add the gelatine. Stir well until the gelatine dissolves completely
4. Pour the hot mixture onto the chocolate chips
5. Stir gently until smooth
6. Pour out some of the mixtures into three small bowls and let most of the mixture remain in the large bowl
7. Add food colours of your choice
11. Pour the base colour all over the cake
12. Drizzle the remaining colours to create patterns of your choice
13. Add sprinkles of your choice to decorate the cake
Mirror glaze galaxy cake
- Make sure the cake is coated with a thin layer of frosting and placed in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours
- Place gelatine and cold water in a small bowl and allow it to absorb all the water
- Place the white chocolate chips in a large bowl
- Combine ¾ cup water, condensed milk and caster sugar in a heavy-bottom saucepan and bring it to a boil
- Turn off the heat and add the gelatine. Stir well until the gelatine dissolves completely
- Pour the hot mixture onto the chocolate chips and stir gently until smooth
- Pour out some of the mixtures into three small bowls and let most of the mixture remain in the large bowl
- Add the food colour of your choice. The content in the large bowl will be your base glaze and I have coloured it blue. The small bowls will be used to drizzle onto the base colour to create patterns. I have used red, green and white here
- Let the glaze cool until it is slightly warm (about 35 degrees C). The glaze should not be runny else it will not stick onto the cake
- Place a wire rack onto a tray (the tray is needed to catch the excess glaze). Place the cake on the rack
- Pour half of the base colour all over the cake. Let it sit for a minute
- Then add more base colour if needed
- Drizzle the remaining colours to create patterns of your choice
- If you are using a mini cupcake, pour the glaze over it and place it carefully onto the main cake
- Add sprinkles on top and decorate the cake
- Transfer the cake carefully onto a cake stand
- The mirror glaze galaxy cake is ready to serve