Missi roti step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Missi roti is a healthy gram and wheat flour flatbread with flavours of freshly roasted spices. This popular flatbread from the Indian states of Punjab and Rajasthan is an excellent variation for the regular roti/chapati. Both Punjabi and Rajasthani versions are subtly different in terms of flavouring. The gram flour gives these rotis their unique flavour and sets it apart from the regular whole wheat rotis.
The main flavour for this dish comes from freshly roasted spices - cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorn. To make this dish, I mix gram and wheat flour with onion, chilli, yogurt, and freshly ground spices. I then roll and cook them like regular chapatis.
A great variation to this dish is methi missi roti, in which either fresh or dried fenugreek leaves are added to the dough. It tastes very similar to the Gujarati thepla. Missi rotis are great for lunch boxes too as they stay soft for a longer time. Simple delicious flatbread that tastes great at any time of the day.
Click here for more Punjabi recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Dry roast spices together and grind into a powder
2. Mix besan and wheat flour with ground spice and the rest of the ingredients
3. Add water and knead into a dough
4. Roll it into a disc
5. Place on a hot tawa
6. Flip it and apply some oil
7. Flip and cook until both sides are done
Serve with a dollop of butter and yogurt
- Dry roast cumin seeds carom seeds and peppercorn together. Cool it and grind into a powder. Set aside
- In a large bowl, mix together gram flour, whole wheat flour, onion, chilli, turmeric, dry mango powder, yogurt, coriander leaves, salt, oil, and the roasted powder
- Gradually add water and knead into the dough
- Cover with a moist cloth and rest the dough for 15-20 minutes
- Take a lemon sized dough and dust it with flour. Roll into 6-7 inch disc
- Heat a griddle or tawa. Carefully place the rolled roti on to it and let it cook for a minute on medium flame
- Flip over to cook the other side. Apply 1 tsp oil
- Flip again and gently press using a spatula or wide spoon. Apply some oil and flip again till done
- Repeat for the rest of the dough
- Serve hot with butter and yogurt