Mooli paratha step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Mooli paratha is a radish stuffed flatbread made with whole wheat flour. Made with atta (also called chapati flour or Indian whole wheat flour), these flatbreads are stuffed with grated and seasoned radish. This Punjabi breakfast is easy to make and makes a great lunch box dish too. These mildly spices parathas tastes great when served with raita, pickle, and a dollop of butter.
To make mooli paratha, I grate the radish, mix it with salt and squeeze out the water. Then I mix it with spices and whole wheat dough, which I knead using the water from the radish. I then shallow fry the rolled parathas and serve. It is really important to squeeze out as much water as you can from the radish, else the parathas will break while rolling.
Simple breakfast dish that you will love eating any time of the day!
Step by step instructions
1. Squeeze out all the water from the grated radish.
2. Mix radish with the rest of the stuffing ingredients.
3. Mix well to make the stuffing for paratha.
4. Use the water squeezed from the radish to knead the dough.
5. Let the dough rest for a few minutes.
6. Roll out a small disc of the dough.
7. Put stuffing in the center.
8. Seal all the edges of the disc.
9. Roll the paratha using some dusting flour.
10. Place the rolled paratha on a tava or skillet.
11. Let it cook on medium heat.
12. Flip and cook on both sides.
Mooli Paratha served with raita, pickle, and a dollop of butter
FOR THE STUFFING:
- 2 large radish (mooli) grated
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1-2 green chilli chopped, or as per taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder or as per taste
- 1 teaspoon amchur
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds – 1 tsp ajwain
- Salt to taste
FOR THE DOUGH:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (atta) plus extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoon ghee plus extra to fry the parathas
- 1 teaspoon salt
TO MAKE THE STUFFING:
- In a bowl, mix grated radish and salt together. Set aside for 15-20 minutes
- Squeeze out all the water from the radish. Use the water to knead the dough for paratha
- Add the rest of the stuffing ingredients and mix well
TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
- Mix whole wheat flour, ghee and salt in a large bowl
- Add the water squeezed out from radish gradually and knead together to form a soft and smooth dough. Let it rest for 30 minutes
TO MAKE THE PARATHA:
- Once the dough is rested, knead it one more time and divide into equal portions
- Roll one portion of the dough into a small circle. Place 2-3 tablespoon of stuffing mixture in the center. Slowly bring the sides of the dough together and seal it completely
- Roll the stuffed dough into 6-7 inch disc using some extra flour for dusting
- Heat a skillet/fry pan. Place the rolled paratha on it and let it cook for 1-2 minutes. Do not add oil at this stage
- Flip over to cook the other side. Apply 1 teaspoon ghee on the cooked side
- Flip again and gently press using a spatula or wide spoon. Apply some oil and flip again till done
- Serve hot with Indian pickle, a dollop of butter and raita
- It is very important to squeeze out as much water as you can from the radish, else the parathas will break while rolling.
- To make raita, whisk yogurt, add finely chopped salt, onions, chillies, and coriander leaves