Narkel naru (coconut laddu) recipe.
Two main ingredients and less than 30 minutes are all you need to make these delicious bites of goodness. Fresh coconut and jaggery are the main ingredients here. In Bengal during winter, a special variety of jaggery is available called ‘khejur gur’ (date palm jaggery). When this is in the market, most of the sweets, including naru are made with it and they taste simply wonderful. This particular variety of jaggery, however, is not available every time and everywhere. So I usually make the laddoos using the regular jaggery or gur. Make these yummy little bites for a quick snack or sweet craving – tastes absolutely wonderful.
To make this delicious narkel naru (coconut laddu), I boil jaggery and water together taking care it doesn't get too sticky. I then add grated coconut and simmer it so that the moisture dries out. Once the mixture comes together, they are ready to be shaped into small balls. I make the balls while the coconut mixture is still hot. The best way is to wet hands with cold water. It gets a lot easier to handle it then. Try this easy recipe and enjoy these delicious bites of goodness.
For more refined sugar-free desserts, click here.
- 2 cups coconut fresh, grated
- 1 cup jaggery
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder optional
- Heat a thick bottom pan and add jaggery and water
- Bring to boil and let the jaggery melt completely. Simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Add the coconut and mix well
- Keep cooking the coconut on low flame until the moisture evaporates and it comes together (approximately 15-20 minutes). Stir occasionally so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan
- Add cardamom powder and mix well
- Transfer the mixture into a plate and let it sit for a minute
- Wet your hands with some cold water and make small round ball shapes while the mixture is still hot
- The laddus are ready to be served
- Make sure the jaggery doesn't get too sticky. Else the laddus will turn very hard
- Shape the laddoos while the mixture is still hot. Else, the mixture will harden and you won’t be able to shape them