Paddu / Gundponglu / Paniyaram step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
This popular gluten-free, vegan dish has so many names - paddu/gundponglu/paniyaram. It is prepared in what is called a paddu pan or appe pan. This was one utensil that was missing from my kitchen since I moved here, until recently. My brother who visited us a few weeks back brought this paddu pan for me. And I am absolutely loving it!
I make the paniyaram with my regular dosa batter. The leftover batter after making dosas are just perfect for this dish. Just a handful of ingredients added to the batter and fried in a appe pan is enough to make an excellent brunch. They are great for lunchboxes too as they are fresh for a long time, unlike the regular dosa.
As a child, I preferred to paddu over dosa in the lunchbox as I cannot eat cold dosa. These bite-sized slightly crispy on the outside, soft inside paddus are absolutely delicious. My kids loved it too, including my 10-month-old 🙂
To make paddu, I combine dosa batter with onion, tomatoes, and coriander leaves. I then pour a spoonful of batter into appe pan cavity and shallow-fry until they are cooked and golden. I am super excited to include them regularly into our menu and try out more dishes with my appe pan 🙂
Click here to get the dosa batter recipe.
Step by step instructions
1. Add onion, tomato, coriander leaves, and salt to the dosa batter. Mix well
2. Take a spoonful of batter and pour it in the cavities
3. Carefully flip the paddus and let it cook for another 2 minutes
- Add onion, tomato, coriander leaves, and salt to the dosa batter. Mix well
- Heat the paddu pan. Turn the flame to medium. Lightly grease the paddu pan and wipe off excess oil using a kitchen towel. Sprinkle few drops of water on it and let it evaporate
- Take a spoonful of batter and pour it in the paddu pan cavities
- Pour few drops of ghee onto them. 1 teaspoon of oil should be sufficient for 4 to 5 paddus
- Let it cook on low-medium flame for 2-3 minutes
- Carefully flip the paddus and let it cook for another 2 minutes
- Remove from pan once done
- Serve with coconut and coriander chutney.