Palak chicken step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Palak chicken or spinach chicken or saag wala chicken is a delicious, flavourful curry that is so healthy and nutritious. A luscious onion-tomato gravy, perfectly balanced aromatic spices, chicken that soaks up all the flavour, paired with loads of greens – this is your go-to dish to make everyone eat their greens without putting up with the tantrums. The goodness of chicken and spinach in one dish is definitely a keeper! A simple dish that tastes great with naan, multi-layer paratha, or jeera rice.
This is a simple dish and does not need marination of the chicken. The chicken is first cooked in an onion-tomato-spices base. It is then combined with spinach puree and simmered. Do try this easy-to-make yet delicious and flavourful saag wala chicken. I make this chicken with fresh spinach but you may also choose to make it with frozen spinach.
Try the vegetarian variation of this dish – palak paneer or spinach and cottage cheese curry.
Click here for more Punjabi recipes.
Step by step recipe
1. Blanch the spinach and grind into a smooth puree along with green chillies
2. Fry onions until golden brown
3. Add tomato puree along with the rest of the spices and fry until oil separates
4. Add some water and bring to boil
5. Add chicken pieces and mix well
6. Simmer until the chicken is cooked
7. Add spinach puree and mix well
8. Simmer for few more minutes and add garam masala
Palak chicken served with naan
- 500 grams chicken thigh
- 2 bunch spinach
- 2-3 green chilli or as per taste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato pureed
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the chicken. Cut into 1-2 inch equal-sized pieces and set aside
- Wash the spinach thoroughly. Boil water in a stockpot. Add 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water and add the spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Strain the spinach and refresh with cold water to stop cooking any further
- Blend the spinach in a blender along with green chillies. Set aside
- Heat oil and butter in a frypan or kadhai. Add onions and fry until it is golden brown
- Add ginger, garlic and fry for a further 1-2 minutes
- Add salt and tomato puree. Cook until the tomatoes are done and oil separates. Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and saute on low flame for few minutes taking care not to burn the spices. Add ½ cup water to adjust consistency if needed
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Cover and simmer on low flame until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Add the spinach puree and mix well. Simmer for another 5 minutes
- Add the garam masala and mix well. Turn off the heat and squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and mix. Optionally, you may also add a dash of cream.