Palak chicken step-by-step recipe with photos.
Palak chicken or spinach chicken or saag wala chicken is a delicious, flavourful curry that is so healthy and nutritious. A luscious onion-tomato gravy, perfectly balanced aromatic spices, chicken that soaks up all the flavour, paired with loads of greens – this is your go-to dish to make everyone eat their greens without putting up with the tantrums. The goodness of chicken and spinach in one dish is definitely a keeper! A simple dish that tastes great with naan, multi-layer paratha, or jeera rice.
This is a simple dish and does not need a marination of the chicken. The chicken is first cooked in an onion-tomato-spices base. It is then combined with spinach puree and simmered. Do try this easy-to-make yet delicious and flavourful saag wala chicken. I make this chicken with fresh spinach but you may also choose to make it with frozen spinach.
Try the vegetarian variation of this dish – palak paneer or spinach and cottage cheese curry.
For more Punjabi recipes, click here.
Palak chicken step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Blanch the spinach and grind into a smooth puree along with green chillies
2. Fry onions until golden brown
3. Add tomato puree along with rest of spices and fry until oil separates
4. Add some water and bring to boil
5. Add chicken pieces and mix well
6. Simmer until the chicken is cooked
7. Add spinach puree and mix well
8. Simmer for few more minutes and add garam masala
Palak chicken served with naan