Paneer tamatar bhurji step-by-step recipe with photos.
Paneer tamatar bhurji literally translates to scrambled cottage cheese and tomatoes. Paneer bhurji is usually made dry, similar to scrambled eggs. I didn't know that paneer bhurji can be made in a gravy form until I saw a show on NDTV Good Times. I first saw chef Marut Sikka make this dish in his show Lock Stock and Two Smoking Tikkas and found it quite different from the regular paneer bhurji that I make.
I was a bit hesitant to try this initially as his dish is more time consuming than the paneer bhurji I make which is super easy and ready in no time. But I am so glad I tried it. I adapted the recipe from the show and modified it to suit our taste buds. It tastes simply amazing. Paneer that has two textures, one crumbled and the other diced in silky tangy tomato gravy is so so wonderful. It's an absolute delight to your tastebuds. I made it... And made it again and again... We love this dish. Do try this dish and let me know how you like it.
For more Punjabi recipes, click here.
Paneer tamatar bhurji step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Marinate the paneer cubes with marination ingredients
2. Heat ghee and fry whole spices and ginger
3. Add chopped tomatoes to it
4. Simmer until the tomatoes are cooked
5. Cool completely and blend along with soaked cashew
6. Pass the paste through a sieve
7. Pour the tomato gravy back to the pan and add the crumbled paneer
8. In another pan, heat the remaining ghee. Fry the paneer pieces lightly and set aside
9. In the same pan, add onions and fry it until golden brown
10. Add the spice powders and fry on a low flame for 1-2 minutes
11. Add the fried onion mix to the tomato gravy
12. Add the paneer pieces and mix gently
13. Lightly crush kasuri methi and add it to the bhurji
Paneer tamatar bhurji
TO MARINATE THE PANEER: