Pumpkin peel chutney step-by-step recipe with photos.
Pumpkin peel chutney is a very simple flavourful and highly nutritious accompaniment that serves as a great accompaniment for south Indian breakfast/tiffin foods like idli, dosa, vadas, etc. It can be a great spread for your toasts and sandwiches as well. And the best part is you can adjust the spiciness or the tanginess as per your preference and yet get the best tasting chutney.
To make this dish, I saute Bengal gram, dry red chillies and pumpkin peel together. Once the peel is cooked, I add coconut, tamarind, salt and give it all a good mix. I cool the mixture completely and grind it into a smooth paste. Then, I prepare a tempering with mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing, and add it to the chutney.
Next time you chop that pumpkin, don’t throw away the peel. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised at how good it tastes.
For more chutney recipes, click here.
Pumpkin peel chutney step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Fry chana dal and dry red chillies in some oil
2. Add pumpkin peel and simmer until it is cooked completely
3. Add coconut, tamarind, salt and fry for another 2-3 minutes
4. Grind into smooth paste once cooled
5. Prepare the tempering in a separate pan
6. Pour the tempering over the chutney
Pumpkin peel chutney
Watch pumpkin peel chutney web story here.