Ragi chocolate cookies step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
About this recipe
These chocolate ragi cookies are gluten-free cookies made with finger millet flour and besan (gram flour/chickpea flour). These eggless cookies are sweetened with jaggery, making them refined sugar-free. They are absolutely delicious, healthy, and perfect for a snack with your chai.
I have earlier shared the recipe for making basic ragi cookies. These cookies are a delicious variation of them. Read on for ingredients, substitutes, and tips for making the perfect gluten-free chocolate cookies.
Click here to read more about millets and their benefits.
Ingredients and substitutes
Ragi flour: Ragi or finger millet flour is the main ingredient of these cookies.
Besan: Besan is gram flour and balances the earthy ragi taste. You may replace it with other millet flour like foxtail millet or pearl millet flour.
Jaggery: I use jaggery powder. You may also use grated jaggery, raw sugar, or plain white sugar too.
Butter: I use butter to make these ragi cookies. Make sure it is softened at room temperature. For a vegan option, you can use vegan butter.
Chocolate: I add cocoa powder and white and dark chocolate chips. You may use as much or as little chocolate chips as per your liking.
Tips for making perfect chocolate ragi cookies
Dry roast the ragi well before using it. This will remove the raw taste from it. Cool the ragi flour completely before you begin making the dough.
Crumble the flour mixture with your fingers after adding it to creamed butter-jaggery. We want the flours to be fully incorporated first. Also, this way you will not knead the dough too much.
Add milk gradually, just one tablespoon at a time. Mix and add one tablespoon again as needed. The amount of milk depends on the ragi flour. I used approximately two tablespoons of milk.
I bake these ragi cookies at a lower temperature at 160 C (320 F). My cookies were ready in about 20 minutes and were crispy. If you want softer cookies, bake for 17-18 minutes. In any case, keep a close eye after about 15 minutes.
These ragi chocolate cookies are:
- delicious and healthy
- refined sugar-free
- very easy to make and perfect for a snack
Step by step instructions
1. Dry roast the ragi flour on low flame for 8-10 minutes or until the raw smell goes. Let it cool completely
2. In a large bowl, add roasted ragi flour, besan, cocoa powder, milk powder, baking soda, and salt
3. Mix well and set it aside
4. In another bowl, take butter and jaggery powder. Cream them together until they are light
5. Add vanilla extract and mix well
6. Add the flour mixture
7. Add chocolate chips and mix well
8. Slowly add milk 1 tablespoon at a time and bring the mixture together to form a dough
9. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
10. Pinch out small portions of the dough and place them on the tray.
11. Bake in preheated oven at 160 C or 320 F for 15-18 minutes
12. Cool completely on a wire rack
Ragi Chocolate Cookies (Eggless, Gluten-free)
- ¾ cup ragi flour
- ⅓ cup besan
- 2 tablespoon milk powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup jaggery powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon white chocolate chips
- 2-3 teaspoon milk
- Dry roast the ragi flour on low flame for 8-10 minutes or until the raw smell goes. Let it cool completely
- In a large bowl, combine roasted ragi flour, besan, cocoa powder, milk powder, baking soda, and salt
- Mix well and set aside
- In another bowl, take butter and jaggery powder. Cream them together until they are light
- Add vanilla extract and mix well
- Add the flour mixture and mix
- Add chocolate chips and mix well
- Slowly add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time and bring the mixture together to form a dough
- Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 160 C or 320 F
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Once the dough is rested, pinch out small portions of the dough and place on the tray
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes
- Cool completely
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container