Rainbow cake recipe.
Me: What do you want for your third birthday
3yo: I want rainbow and Olaf
We will have to wait till next winter for Olaf, but the cake is the easy part (at least that’s what I told). I created a 5 layer cake with different colours and iced it mascarpone cheese. I then sprinkled 100s & 1000s on it and TA-DA! A beautiful colourful cake that you will fall in love with 🙂
This cake is surprisingly easy to bake and frost. You can use the food colours of your choice to make it colourful. The basic flavour of the cake is vanilla. Here, I have made the frosting with mascarpone cheese. This is a delicious variation from the regular buttercream or whipped cream frosting. Make sure the cake is cooled completely before frosting. You can also choose to bake it and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.
The original recipe calls for 6 layers but made a 5 layer cake instead. The cake was perfect and my daughter absolutely loved it.
For more dessert recipes, click here.
Rainbow cake step-by-step recipe with photos
1. The batter ready for baking
2. These beauties in the oven
3. Baked and ready for icing
A slice of heaven
FOR THE CAKE:
- 375 grams butter at room temperature
- 675 grams plain flour
- 450 grams sugar
- 9 eggs medium-sized
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- Food colour of your choice I used red, yellow, blue, dark & light green
FOR THE ICING:
- 750 grams mascarpone cheese
- 350 grams icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 180℃. Grease and line 5 X 20cm round baking tin
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together all the cake ingredients together except for the food colour. Beat with an electric whisk until smooth
- Divide the batter into 5 equal parts. Add the food colour of your choice to each part. Keep adding a few drops of colour and mix well until you get the desired colour
- Pour the coloured batter into lined tins
- Bake on the same shelf of the oven until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean
- Gently remove on a wire rack and cool completely
- To make the icing, beat mascarpone cheese and vanilla extract together until smooth
- Add icing sugar and combine gently. Don’t overwork the icing, else it will get runny and increase the chance of splitting
- Smear a little icing on the cake stand or plate (to avoid the cake from slipping)
- Place the first layer and spread some icing all over. Repeat with all the layers
- Put the remaining icing on the sides and top of the cake and spread evenly
- Add colourful sprinkles on top and sides
- Perfect rainbow cake is ready for the party
Recipe source here.