Rajma masala step-by-step recipe with photos.
Rajma masala is a delicious and flavourful curry made with red kidney beans which is cooked in a luscious onion-tomato base. This popular Punjabi dish tastes best with rice but can be enjoyed with roti too. Rajma-chawal (rajma curry served with steamed white rice) is a classic combination that is loved by all.
Red kidney beans or rajma is soaked overnight in water, boiled, and then simmered in a classic curry base. Make sure you soak the rajma long enough and wash the soaked rajma well in running water. Like most other curries, this curry tastes better the next day as it soaks up all the flavours from the spices. So make sure to make a large batch. Rajma is also a great way to add non-meat based protein into your diet.
You may use red kidney beans from a can to make this curry too. Serve up this delicious curry and jeera rice for a comforting weekend meal. Or soak and boil rajma beforehand and store in the refrigerator for an easy weekday meal.
For more Punjabi recipes, click here.
Rajma masala step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Cook rajma in pressure cooker until completely done
2. Prepare the onion-tomato curry base
3. Add the boiled rajma along with its cooking liquor
4. Mix well and let it simmer for 10 minutes
5. Add kasuri methi and amchur
6. Prepare tempering with ghee, hing and garam masala
7. Pour the tempering onto the rajma masala
8. Garnish with coriander leaves