Raw turmeric pickle step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Turmeric needs no introduction. It is an important part of Indian cooking and an essential part of my spice box. Not a day goes by in my kitchen where I have not touched this magic ingredient. The health benefits it carries numerous. While I use turmeric powder in my day-to-day cooking, raw turmeric roots are also a part of my kitchen, especially in winter.
I have earlier shared the recipe for golden turmeric milk, which is an excellent winter warmer. Raw turmeric pickle is yet another simple and healthy dish that can be made in minutes and stored in the refrigerator.
To make raw turmeric pickle, I temper mustard and fennel seeds in coconut oil. I then saute cleaned and sliced turmeric roots. I mix in salt and chilli powder to it and saute for a few more minutes. The pickle can be used immediately or can be cooled completely and stored in the refrigerator.
Just take a piece or two of it and mix it with some hot rice. Healthy, healing food.
Turmeric pickle step by step instructions
1. Cut turmeric into thin slices
2. Heat coconut oil in a pan
3. Add mustard and fennel seeds
4. Add sliced turmeric root and salt. Mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes
5. Add red chilli powder
6. Saute for few more minutes
7. Serve immediately or store refrigerated
Raw Turmeric Pickle
- 100 grams raw turmeric
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste
- Wash and peel the turmeric. Pat dry using a kitchen towel
- Cut into thin slices
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add fennel seeds
- Add sliced turmeric root and salt. Mix well. Saute for 2-3 minutes
- Add red chilli powder and mix. Simmer for 7-8 minutes
- Cool completely and store refrigerated in a clean air-tight container.