Ridge gourd peel (heerekayi sippe) chutney step-by-step recipe with photos
Some days are day-after-cooking-ridge gourd-day at our home! To be honest, ridge gourd peel excites me more than the ridge gourd itself. Ridge gourd has numerous health benefits like anti-inflammatory, prevents eye ailments, reduces arthritis to name a few. And the most nutritious part is the skin.
When my husband ate this chutney for the first time, he didn’t believe it when I told him what the main ingredient was. Jam-packed with fiber and nutrition, it tastes amazing. Serve it with breakfast or use it as a spread... tastes great either ways.
To make this chutney, I saute Bengal gram and ridge gourd peel together for a few minutes. I then add chillies and coconut, give it a good mix and let it cool down. I then add some tamarind pulp, salt and grind it with a little water into a smooth paste. I then prepare a tempering with mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing, and combine the tempering with the chutney.
For more chutney recipes, click here.
Ridge gourd peel chutney step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Heat oil, fry Bengal gram dal for a minute. Add ridge gourd peel and fry until the peel becomes tender
2. Add green chilli, coconut, salt and fry for another 2-3 minutes
3. Cool completely and grind into a smooth paste
4. Prepare the tempering in a separate pan
5. Pour the tempering over the chutney and serve
This chutney is a great accompaniment to thalis
Ridge gourd peel chutney