Shavige payasa (vermicelli pudding) step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Shavige payasa or vermicelli pudding is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of sweets or desserts. This humble dessert is an integral part of my kitchen. I have it millions of times and will never get enough of it. At my home, no occasion is complete without it. This pudding is made with wheat vermicelli. Make this on any occasion or just to satisfy your sweet tooth!
To make this pudding, I roast vermicelli in some ghee/clarified butter. I boil milk in a saucepan and add the roasted vermicelli and cook it completely. I then add sugar and combine everything with cardamom powder, saffron, and nuts & raisins. And it is ready! So so comforting... I can eat it every day!
Click here for more kheer recipes.
Shavige payasa step by step instructions
1. Roast the vermicelli until they are golden and aromatic. Set aside
2. Add the roasted vermicelli to the milk and let it boil until the vermicelli is soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add sugar and boil for 2-3 minutes until the sugar dissolves completely
3. Add cardamom powder, saffron, fried nuts, and raisins
4. Shavige payasa is ready to serve
- 1 cup vermicelli (shavige)
- 3 cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 8-10 cashew
- A handful raisins
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 3-4 strands saffron
- Heat a thick bottom vessel and add ghee
- Roast the vermicelli until they are golden and aromatic. Set aside
- In the same pan fry the cashew and raisins until golden. Set aside
- Now add milk and bring to boil
- Add the roasted vermicelli to the milk and let it boil until the vermicelli is soft, about 4-5 minutes
- Add sugar and boil for 2-3 minutes until the sugar dissolves completely
- Turn the heat off and add cardamom powder and saffron
- Garnish with nuts and raisins and serve
- Make sure the vermicelli is roasted well, else the payasa can turn lumpy
- If it thickens up when cooled, add some warm and adjust the consistency