Shrikhand step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Shrikhand is a simple dessert made with hung curd (or yogurt). Hung curd is nothing but plain yogurt with all the whey drained out, making it very thick and creamy. This hung curd is then flavoured as per our likings. Here I have flavoured it with saffron.
You can also use fruit puree to make shrikhand. Aamrakhand made with mango is a very popular version. Thick and creamy shrikhand can be served with pooris or can be eaten on its own.
Shrikhand's origin can be traced back to Mahabharata and was first made by Bheem for Shri Krishna. It is a popular dessert in the western Indian states of Gujrat and Maharashtra.
Shrikhand is a healthy dessert as it has all the probiotics and good bacteria from yogurt. Try shrikhand with poori for a heavenly meal.
Once the hung curd is ready, shrikhand can be made in no time. This exotic, delicious dessert is perfect for both your celebrations and just weekday sweet cravings.
Click here for more Gujarati recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Place a muslin cloth on a bowl and pour the yogurt
2. Bring all the edges of the muslin cloth together
3. Tie the muslin so that it can hang and the whey can drip. Place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4-5 hours or overnight
4. Next morning all the whey or liquid will be drained and you will get hung curd
5. Slightly warm the milk and add saffron to it
6. Transfer the hung curd into a bowl. Add powdered sugar and saffron milk
7. Mix everything gently
8. Add the sliced nuts and mix gently
- 3 cups yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoon powdered sugar as per your preference
- A few strands saffron
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3-4 almonds sliced
- Place a muslin cloth on a bowl and pour the yogurt. Bring all the edges of the muslin cloth together. Tie the muslin so that it can hang and the whey can drip. Alternatively, you can place the muslin cloth on a strainer and place the strainer on the bowl
- Place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4-5 hours or overnight
- Next morning all the whey or liquid will be drained and you will get hung curd (you can use the whey in cooking as it is very nutritious)
- Slightly warm the milk and add saffron to it. Let it sit for a few minutes
- Transfer the hung curd into a bowl. Add powdered sugar and saffron milk. Mix gently
- Add the sliced nuts and mix gently (take care not to over-mix it)
- Serve chilled