Handvo is a savoury vegetable cake that is a popular Gujrati food. It is a mix of fermented lentils and rice which is loaded with vegetables and cooked. It is a simple and easy dish that is healthy and nutritious that is great for breakfast and lunch box.
Typically, to make handvo, the lentils are soaked, ground and fermented; but here I am using idli batter and adding a few other lentils to it. It’s a great way to make a variation of regular idli or use up any extra idli batter. Traditionally, bottle gourd and fenugreek leaves are added in handvo, but you may add vegetables of your choice. In this recipe, I have used spinach and carrots. This crispy from outside, soft and melt-in-mouth from inside savoury cake is a must-try.
Handvo with idli batter
For the batter
For the tempering
Handvo made with idli batter step-by-step recipe with photos
- Grind soaked lentils and green chillies into a thick paste
2. Saute spinach along with ginger and garlic
3. Combine the ingredients in a large bowl
4. Mix well. Handvo batter is ready
5. Prepare the tempering in a non-stick pan
6. Pour handvo batter and let it cook
7. Carefully flip it to cook on the other side
8. Serve warm handvo on its own or with chutney