Sourdough blueberry and lemon bread step-by-step recipe with photos.
The slight tang from the sourdough when combined with sweet blueberries and lemon zest makes this sourdough bread oh-so-soft and delicious. The classic combination of blueberry and lemon combined with sourdough is something you don’t want to miss.
I have shared earlier how to make the no-knead sourdough bread. This bread is a slight variation of the same with the addition of blueberries and lemon zest. The sweet blueberries and tangy lemon zest, when baked in the naturally leavened bread, tastes so wonderful.
See the recipe for basic no-knead sourdough bread here.
FEW KEY THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN MAKING SOURDOUGH BLUEBERRY AND LEMON BREAD:
- The amount of lemon zest can be altered depending on your preference.
- All of the blueberries may not be incorporated in the first go and that is fine. They will be incorporated as you do the stretch and folds. Just tuck the blueberries back into the dough if the pop on the surface.
- Handle the dough carefully while doing stretch and fold, given the blueberries may make it slightly tricky to handle.
- Make sure the starter is active. The night before you plan to make the dough, take the starter from the fridge and feed it in 1:1:1 ratio of starter:flour:water. See the detailed process here.
- I have made this sourdough with bread flour, but you can choose any flour – example, a combination of plain flour and whole wheat flour.
Sourdough Blueberry and Lemon Bread
Sourdough blueberry and lemon bread step-by-step recipe with photos:
1. Combine starter and water. Add flour, mix well and let it rest
2. Add salt, blueberries and lemon zest, and combine gently
3. Gently pull the dough to perform stretch and fold
4. Fold the dough back towards the center
5. The dough develops strenght as you continue to stretch and fold
6. Continue stretch and fold at regular intervals
7. The dough has developed good strength
8. Dough after bulk fermentation
9. Shape the dough and place in a well-dusted banneton
10. Score the dough and bake in preheated oven with lid on
11. Next, take the lid off and bake
12. Cool completely before slicing