Sourdough lauki paratha step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Lauki paratha is a variety of Indian flatbread made with bottle gourd and whole wheat flour (atta). Traditionally, these parathas are made by combining grated bottle gourd with atta and spices. But here is an interesting twist I give to it - make the sourdough version of lauki paratha.
I use some sourdough starter to ferment all my roti/paratha dough. The process I follow is really simple - I just add some unfed sourdough starter while kneading the dough along with other ingredients and let it sit overnight for fermentation. Making the dough this way is an integral part of my cooking process it suits my daughter who is gluten intolerant and this is the only way she can eat anything with gluten.
The fermentation of the dough makes these parathas much healthier. Not only are they super delicious, but they are also incredibly soft and much healthier than a regular lauki paratha. If you would like to make a regular lauki paratha, just skip the sourdough starter and follow this recipe.
Bottle gourd: Use fresh and tender bottle gourd to make paratha. Click here to see how to select a bottle gourd.
Atta: Atta (or Indian whole wheat flour or chapati flour) is used to make these parathas.
Atta starter: I use a sourdough starter made with atta to make the paratha. Click here to see how to make an atta starter.
Ghee: I use ghee to shallow-fry the parathas.
Spices: I use garam masala and chilli powder. Adjust the spices as per your preference.
Serve sourdough lauki paratha with plain yogurt and any Indian pickle for an indulgent breakfast. I also like these parathas with beetroot raita. Or try them with baingan bharta for a complete meal.
Tips for making perfect sourdough lauki paratha
Do not add any water to knead the dough. The moisture in the bottle gourd is sufficient for kneading.
I use an atta starter in the dough; however, regular flour start also works well. My atta starter is quite stiff so it does not increase the moisture content of the dough.
Use ghee to make the parathas as they taste best with ghee.
Adjust the spices as per your prefernece. You may also choose to add finely chopped green chillies.
If the dough is very soft, add more flour. If it is too dry add some starter.
For more bottle gourd recipes, click here.
These sourdough lauki parathas are:
- are much healthier than regular lauki paratha
- can stay fresh and soft for longer
- great for lunchboxes
Sourdough lauki paratha step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Combine atta, bottle gourd, chilli powder, garam masala, 1 tbsp ghee, coriander leaves, and salt in a large bowl
2. Add the sourdough starter and knead well. Let it rest for 30 minutes
3. Perform one set of stretch and fold
4. Let the dough ferment overnight (or for a minimum 5-6 hours)
5. Once the dough is fermented, knead it for 2-3 minutes
6. Pinch out a lemon-sized dough and roll evenly into a circle
7. Heat a griddle or fry pan. Place the paratha gently on the griddle and let it cook for 1-2 minutes
8. Flip over and cook on the other side. Apply 1 tsp ghee
9. Cook both sides until they are done completely
Sourdough Lauki Paratha