Sourdough sandwich bread with a step-by-step recipe.
When we think of sourdough bread, the first image that comes to mind is an artisan loaf with a thick crust and is chewy and tangy with open crumbs (or crumb with holes). But this sourdough sandwich bread has a soft crust, with a tender and light interior, and is very flavourful. I make this bread with milk, butter, and a bit of sugar – making it super soft, slightly sweet, and oh-so-delicious.
I absolutely love crusty sourdough bread, but sometimes having a sandwich bread comes in very handy – especially for packing them in lunchboxes or toasting some slices for breakfast. A white bread that is made with naturally occurring yeast, long-fermented and has a soft, tender texture perfect for sandwiches – best of both worlds I’d say. This is my go-to bread and cannot do without this on most days.
The crumb of this bread is tight, yet is soft and well-fermented. The crust is soft, golden, and slightly caramelised. This recipe here is white bread but you can change the flour type to make 1:1 plain and whole wheat flour.
See the recipe for easy no-knead sourdough bread here.
FEW THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN MAKING SOURDOUGH SANDWICH BREAD:
- Activate the starter the night before you plan to make the dough (or early morning on the same day).
- Keep an eye on the bulk fermentation time – once the dough is almost double and has bubbles, put it in the fridge. As the amount of starter is high in this bread, remember that it may ferment more quickly when compared to regular sourdough.
- Put the dough out of the fridge first thing in the morning to do the second proofing the next day. Shape it once it comes to room temperature and then, let it sit in a warm spot until it rises.
- You can choose to bake the bread the same day if you like. But I always prefer to stick the dough in the fridge overnight and bake the next day. If you choose to bake on the same day, activate your starter the previous night and start the dough early in the morning. That way, you will be able to do the second proofing by afternoon and bake in the evening.
- Brush the crust with egg white to get a caramelised golden crust. You may also choose to brush with milk if you prefer.
Sourdough sandwich bread step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Warm up the milk with butter
2. Add activated starter, salt, and sugar
3. Add the flour and knead
4. Knead the dough well
5. Perform stretch and fold at 30 minutes interval
6. Let the dough bulk ferment, then place in the fridge for cold fermentation
7. Shape the dough into a rectangle, roll it to form a log and let it sit for second proofing
8. Score the dough with a blade or sharp knife
9. Brush with egg white or milk
10. Bake in the preheated oven until it is completely done. Cool completely
Sourdough Sandwich Bread