Nuchina unde (steamed lentil dumplings) step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Nuchina unde or steamed lentil dumpling is a healthy snack popular in the state of Karnataka. ‘Nuchu’ means broken and unde means ball or dumpling. In this recipe, the dal is broken by coarsely grinding it and is then shaped into dumplings and steamed in an idli stand.
This healthy guilt-free snack is easy to make and tastes very similar to masala vadas or ambode. Nuchina unde tastes great with majjigehuli, which is a yogurt-based curry. You may add dill leaves but I have skipped it.
To make this dish, grind soaked chana dal and toor dal with coconut, ginger, and chillies. I then mix the ground paste with chopped onion, shape them to form a dumpling and steam them in an idli stand. This easy dish is ready in less than 30 minutes after the chana dal and toor dal are soaked.
This traditional dish is made during festivals too. Do try this less-known dish for a delicious, healthy snack.
Step by step instructions
1. Soak chana dal and toor dal for 2-3 hours
2. Grind the soaked dal with coconut, ginger, green chillies, and cumin into a coarse paste without adding any water
3. Mix onion, coriander leaves, and salt into the paste
4. Dough ready to be steamed
5. Take a lemon-sized mixture and shape it into a dumpling
6. Lightly grease idli plates and place the dumpling on it
7. Steam for 15 minutes
- 1 cup toor dal (pigeon pea)
- ¾ cup chana dal (Bengal gram)
- ¼ cup moong dal (yellow lentils)
- ¼ cup coconut grated
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3-4 green chilli or as per taste
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- A handful coriander leaves finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Soak chana dal and toor dal for 2-3 hours. Rinse well using fresh water
- Grind the soaked dal with coconut, ginger, green chillies and cumin into a coarse paste without adding any water
- Mix onion, coriander leaves and salt to the paste. Make sure not to add any water
- Take a lemon-sized mixture and shape it into a dumpling
- Lightly grease idli plates and place the dumpling on it
- Steam for 15 minutes
- Serve hot with ghee