Strawberry shrikhand step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Shrikhand is a simple dessert made with hung curd (or yogurt). The hung curd is nothing but plain yogurt with all the whey drained out, making it very thick and creamy. This hung curd is then flavoured as per our likings.
Shrikhand's origin can be traced back to Mahabharata and was first made by Bheem for Shri Krishna. It is a popular dessert in the western Indian states of Gujrat and Maharashtra.
I always make shrikhand with homemade yogurt. But you may replace it with Greek yogurt too. Shrikhand is ready in no time if hung curd is ready.
Shrikhand is a healthy dessert as it has all the probiotics and good bacteria from yogurt. Try strawberry shrikhand with poori for a heavenly meal.
I have earlier shared the recipe of shrikhand flavoured with saffron. Here I have used strawberries to make shrikhand. A chilled bowl of thick and creamy strawberry shrikhand is a perfect way to enjoy this delicious fruit. This exotic, delicious dessert is perfect for both your celebrations and just weekday sweet cravings.
Click here for more Gujarati recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Place a muslin cloth on a bowl and pour the yogurt
2. Bring all the edges of the muslin cloth together
3. Tie the muslin so that it can hang and the whey can drip
4. Hung curd is ready the next morning
5. Process strawberries in a blender to get the strawberry puree
6. Transfer the hung curd into a bowl. Add powdered sugar and mix
7. Add strawberry puree
8. Mix gently (take care not to over-mix it)
- 3 cups yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoon sugar powdered (as per your preference)
- 4-5 strawberries
- Place a muslin cloth on a bowl and pour the yogurt. Bring all the edges of the muslin cloth together. Tie the muslin so that it can hang and the whey can drip. Alternatively, you can place the muslin cloth on a strainer and place the strainer on the bowl
- Place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4-5 hours or overnight
- Next morning all the whey or liquid will be drained and you will get hung curd (you can use the whey in cooking as it is very nutritious)
- Hull the strawberries and process them in a blender to get the strawberry puree
- Transfer the hung curd into a bowl. Add powdered sugar and strawberry puree. Mix gently (take care not to over-mix it)
- Serve chilled