Beetroot halwa or pudding is made similar to carrot halwa with subtle differences. This creamy, rich dessert is made with four main ingredients – beetroot,
Creamy, rich, healthy and delicious dessert which is also quite filling will be loved by everyone in your family.
Follow my step-by-step recipe to make this decadent dessert and enjoy!
Beetroot – 1 kg
Milk – 500
Sugar – ¼ cup (you may replace it with jaggery)
Ghee (clarified butter) – ¼ cup
Cardamom powder – a small pinch
Chopped cashew and almonds for garnish
- Wash the beetroot thoroughly and peel them. Grate them using a food processor or box grater
- Heat a thick bottom pan or skillet and add 1 tbsp ghee
- In the same pan, add the grated beetroot and fry for 5-6 minutes, until it starts to wrinkle
- Add milk and bring to boil. Simmer and cook beetroot in milk
- Stir occasionally and continue cooking until the milk almost dries up. This takes 45-50 minutes
- Add sugar or jaggery and stir. Cook for another 10-15 minutes until the sugar dissolves completely and the halwa starts to thicken up
- Add the remaining ghee and mix well. Increase flame to dry out any excess liquid
- Add the cardamom powder and chopped nuts. Mix well.
- Serve hot