We all love those delicious buttery shortbread cookies with our cuppa. The traditional shortbread cookies are baked with flour, butter and sugar. Recently I came across this recipe of gluten-free shortbread where the flour was replaced with almond meal. I tried it and we all loved it. This simple recipe needs creaming of the sugar and butter. But take care not to overwork the dough as this can make the cookies very crumbly. Just combine the ingredients together, bake and voila! Delicious gluten-free cookies are ready with your cuppa.
Just three main ingredients and 15 minutes are all you need to make these tender, crispy, buttery cookies. Do let me know how you like them.
Almond meal – 1 cup
Butter – 3 tbsp, at room temperature
Icing sugar – 2 tbsp
Salt – a small pinch
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Preheat oven at 180º C. Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and bring them together to form a dough. Do not over-mix the dough
- Scoop out 1 tbsp of the dough and place on the baking tray
- Use a fork to flatten each cookie to around ¼ inch thick and create a pattern
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they turn into light golden
- Remove from oven and let it cool on tray for 3-4 minutes. Then transfer onto a wire rack and cool completely
- Serve or store in an air-tight container