Lauki halwa or dudhi halwa is a rich, creamy dessert made with lauki or bottle gourd. It is made in a similar way as carrot halwa. Grated bottle gourd is reduced with milk, then sugar and ghee is added and it is finished off with nuts. Traditionally, lauki halwa is made with milk but I make it with almond milk which adds a nice nutty taste to it. And the sugar in the halwa gets slightly caramelised which gives this creamy halwa a slightly crunchy bite.
Bottle gourd is quite neutral in taste, adding almond milk makes this halwa more flavourful and since the halwa has nuts in it, this variation helps incorporate the nutty flavour well. Making this dessert is really simple but needs some time and patience. While bottle gourd is used mostly for making savoury dishes like dal and curries, this sweet dish is a good change.
Lauki halwa recipe step-by-step with photos
- Saute grated bottle gourd until the raw smell goes
2. Add almond milk and simmer
3. Simmer until the milk evaporates
4. Add sugar and simmer further for a few minutes
5. Add ghee and cardamom powder
6. Add fried cashew and raisins