Shrikhand is a simple dessert made with hung curd (or yogurt). Hung curd is nothing but plain yogurt with all the whey drained out, making it very thick and creamy. This hung curd is then flavoured as per our likings. Here I have flavoured it with saffron. You can also use fruit puree to make shrikhand. Mango shrikhand is a very popular version. Thick and creamy shrikhand can be served with pooris or can be eaten on its own.
Once the hung curd is ready, shrikhand can be made in no time. This exotic, delicious dessert is perfect for both your celebrations and just weekday sweet cravings.
Shrikhand step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Place a muslin cloth on a bowl and pour the yogurt
2. Bring all the edges of the muslin cloth together
3. Tie the muslin so that it can hang and the whey can drip. Place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4-5 hours or overnight
4. Next morning all the whey or liquid will be drained and you will get hung curd
5. Slightly warm the milk and add saffron to it
6. Transfer the hung curd into a bowl. Add powdered sugar and saffron milk
7. Mix everything gently
9. Add the sliced nuts and mix gently