Tambittu (rice laddu) step-by-step recipe with photos.
Tambittu is a traditional sweet dish from Karnataka made with roasted rice, Bengal gram, peanuts, and coconut. These delicious laddus are refined sugar-free and are prepared during festivals and in the month of Shravana. The nutty taste of this laddu is very unique and different from the other laddus.
To make tambittu, I first dry roast the rice and grind it into a fine powder along with Bengal gram. I then combine it with roasted peanuts, dry coconut and poppy seeds. I make a syrup with jaggery, mix it with the rest of the ingredients and make laddu out of it.
These less-known traditional laddus come together with just a handful of ingredients and can be made easily. Do try them this festive season and enjoy with family and friends.
For more refined sugar-free desserts, click here.
Tambittu (rice laddu) step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Dry roast rice until it is light golden taking care not to burn it
2. Dry roast the peanuts until they are crunchy and then remove the skin off
3. Coarsely pound them in a mortar pestle
4. Combine the rice-Bengal gram powder, peanuts, dry coconut, cardamom powder, and poppy seeds together
5. Simmer until the jaggery melts completely and the syrup reaches a one-string consistency
6. Turn off the flame and add the rice mixture to it. Add ghee and mix everything well
7. Let the mixture cool down slightly
7. While the mixture is still warm, pinch out small portions and shape them into round laddu