Tomato chutney step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
Hot, spicy, tangy tomato chutney is a perfect accompaniment with any south Indian breakfast. This vegan chutney is very easy to make and uses some basic ingredients. It can also be used as a spread to lift up the taste of a simple sandwich many folds.
About South Indian chutney
Chutney is a condiment that is served alongside breakfast, snacks and street food. Their taste may vary – sweet, tangy, savoury, spicy. The chutney served with snacks is usually sweet and tangy whereas the chutney served with breakfast is savoury.
Chutney is an integral part of South Indian breakfast. Be it idli, dosa, vada, or even upma, breakfast is incomplete without chutney.
When we talk about South Indian chutney, the first ingredient that comes to mind is coconut. Well, here is a south Indian chutney that does not use coconut and is perfect for your idli and dosa.
About this recipe
This tomato chutney is very simple to make and goes very well with any South Indian breakfast dish. This versatile chutney tastes great as a dip or spread too.
There are numerous ways of making this chutney. My version of this recipe calls for cooking the tomatoes with onion and spices, grinding it and topping it with a very simple tempering (seasoning/tadka). It is important to use ripe and juicy tomatoes to make this chutney.
Tomatoes: Use ripe and juicy tomatoes to make the chutney.
Onions: I prefer to use red/pink onions but you may also use brown onions to make the chutney.
Garlic: This is an optional ingredient but I recommend not to skip it.
Green chilli and curry leaves: You may adjust the amount of green chilli based on your preference.
Spices: I use mustard seeds, black gram, dried chilli, and hing to make the tempering for the chutney.
This chutney is:
– very easy to make and uses minimal spices
– vegan friendly
– goes very well with all types of dosa and idli.
– keeps good in the refrigerator for upto five days
– a great alternative to spreads in sandwiches and wraps
Try this chutney with-
For more chutney recipes, click here.
For more recipes with tomato as the main ingredient, click here.
Tomato chutney recipe video
Tomato chutney step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Fry chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves, and green chilli in oil
2. Add garlic, followed by chopped onion and saute for 2-3 minutes
3. Add the chopped tomatoes
4. Simmer until the tomatoes are fully cooked, then cool the mixture completely
5. Cool the mixture and blend into a smooth paste
6. Prepare the tempering in a small pan
7. Pour the tempering on the chutney and mix well before serving