Tomato rice step-by-step recipe with photos.
Tomato rice or tomato bath is a popular dish from Karnataka, made with loads of tomatoes and freshly ground spices. This spicy, tangy dish is ready in no time and is a great weekday meal. They are great for lunch boxes too.
To make this flavourful dish, it is important to use ripe, juicy tomatoes. Also, take care of the water you add while cooking the rice. Tomatoes release lot of moisture, so if you add more water, the rice will become mushy. The freshly ground spice powder make this dish very flavourful and aromatic. You may make two or three batches of the spice powder at one time and store in an air-tight container in refrigerator for up to a month. If you already have the spice powder available, the dish will be ready in just 20 minutes. Tomato rice tastes great on it’s own, but you can pair it with papad and salad for a complete meal.
For more recipes with tomato as the main ingredient, click here.
For more recipes from Karnataka, click here.
Tomato rice step-by-step recipe with photos
1. Dry roast the spices with coconut and grind into a fine powder
2. Heat ghee and prepare the tempering
3. Add onion and saute well
4. Add tomatoes and mix well
5. Add masala powder and salt
6. Cook the tomatoes until they are soft and mushy
7. Add the rice
8. Add water, bring it to boil and simmer until completely done
9. All the moisture is absorbed and the rice is completely done
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot
FOR THE MASALA POWDER: