Tulasi Kashaya (Holy basil tea) step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Food is medicine. It really is. And food that comes from the age-old Ayurveda heals you from within. One such medicinal drink is Tulasi kashaya or holy basil tea.
Tulasi or holy basil is an important aspect of Hindu culture. We all have the Tulasi plant at home. Tulasi has been used in Ayurveda for treating disease. It is most commonly and widely used for home remedies. It not only relieves cough and cold, but it is also very beneficial for respiratory disorders, improving digestion, curing headaches, reduces stress, to name just a few.
Tulasi mixed with ginger, peppercorn and honey is a magic potion that is a remedy for a lot of illnesses.
My mom would make this magic potion for me every time she would see the first sign of cough or cold. This was one medicine I would drink without throwing any tantrums. And I have been making it for my family. My daughter loves it too. More so because she understands it is really healing her.
Recipes like this will not only help you stay healthy, it will give you the confidence that home remedies do work. It is a great drink to serve when the weather changes and the winter chills start.
With so many benefits, there is no better time than now to starting making this magic drink and stay healthy.
Click here for more beverage recipes.
Step by step instructions
1. Take Tulasi, ginger, and peppercorn in a mortar pestle
2. Crush them together
3. Add the tulasi mixture to boiling water and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes
4. Turn off the heat and let it sit for another 3-4 minutes
5. Strain into glass using a sieve. Add honey and mix well
- 15-20 leaves holy basil (Tulasi)
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1-2 teaspoon honey or as per taste
- 2½ glass water
- Take Tulasi, ginger, and peppercorn in a mortar pestle and crush them together
- Pour water in a saucepan and bring it to a rapid boil
- Add the Tulasi mixture and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Turn off the flame and let it sit for another 3-4 minutes
- Strain into a glass using a sieve
- Add honey, mix well and serve