Veg biryani / vegetable biryani / Hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani step-by-step recipe with photos.
About this recipe
Veg biryani or Hyderabadi Vegetable dum biryani is a popular dish from Hyderabad in India. Having lived in Hyderabad for a couple of years, it’s only obvious that you will fall in love with this royal dish. The Hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani is made with Basmati rice, vegetables, and whole spices, and is absolutely aromatic and delicious.
The Hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani is prepared in three main steps – cooking the rice with whole spices, cooking the vegetable gravy, and layering them all, and slow cooking on steam or dum. It sounds complicated, but trust me it is not.
There are two pressure points in the cooking process – taking care the rice doesn’t overcook while boiling and taking care the onion is golden and caramelised but not burnt. The texture of rice must be just done but still have a good bite to it (similar to al dente in pasta). The onions take time to get golden brown but can burn in seconds once it reaches that stage. So it is important to keep an eye on it and take care not to burn it. Also, it is important to use a thick bottom pot with a tight-fitting lid for cooking the biryani.
Cooking the rice, vegetables, and spices on dum makes it highly aromatic and full of flavours.
Click here for more rice dishes.
Veg biryani recipe step by step photos
1. Boil water with whole spices.
2. Cook rice until almost done.
3. Saute whole spices in ghee for gravy.
4. Add Onions. Fry till golden brown.
5. Add vegetables and saute.
6. Add whisked yogurt and let the mixture cook for a few minutes.
7. For assembly, add half of the cooked vegetables.
8. Add half of the rice and saffron milk.
9. Add half of the mint and coriander leaves.
10. Add remaining cooked vegetables on top.
11. Add remaining rice, saffron milk, mint, and coriander leaves.
12. Place the pot on a griddle and seal the sides of the pot with aluminum foil.
Hyderabadi style vegetable dum biriyani served with raita
Vegetable dum biryani
FOR THE RICE:
- 3 cup basmati rice
- 4-5 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2-3 bay leaf
- 6-7 cups water
- Salt to taste
FOR THE GRAVY:
- 3 cups assorted vegetables (I used potato, capsicum, beans, peas, carrots, and cauliflower)
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 inch ginger grated or 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2-3 cloves garlic grated or ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 3 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon black cumin (shahi jeera)
- 2-3 cloves
- 4 green cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2-3 bay leaf
- 1 cup yogurt whisked
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder or as per taste
- A handful cashew
- A few almond flakes
- A handful raisins
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup coriander leaves chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon milk
- A few strands saffron
TO MAKE THE RICE:
- Wash the rice thoroughly and soak in sufficient water for 30 minutes
- In a large saucepan, pour water and add the whole spices (green cardamom, black cardamom, cinnamon, and bay leaf) and salt. Bring to a boil
- Once the rice is soaked, drain all the water. Add the drained rice to boiling water
- Let the rice cook on high flame. Once the rice is almost cooked but still has a nice bite to it, turn off the heat and drain on a muslin cloth
- Spread the rice on a wide plate and set aside. Take care not to cook the rice completely at this stage
TO MAKE THE GRAVY:
- In a fry pan or kadhai, heat ghee. Add whole spices (black cumin, clove, green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaf) and fry for a few seconds until it is aromatic
- Add onions and fry until golden brown. Take care the onion gets golden but doesn’t burn
- Add ginger, garlic and fry for few more minutes until the raw smell goes off
- Add salt, turmeric and chilli powder and mix well
- Add chopped vegetables and saute for 1-2 minutes
- Add whisked yogurt and ¾ cup warm water. Mix well
- Cover and cook on medium flame until the vegetables are done. Take care not to overcook the vegetables
- Remove the cover and increase the flame to dry out any excess moisture
- Add cashew, raisins and almond flakes and mix well
- Soak the saffron strands in warm milk for a few minutes
- Take a thick bottom pan and smear the bottom with some oil or melted ghee.
- Add half the vegetables and spread
- Add half of the rice on top and spread evenly
- Add half of the saffron milk, coriander leaves, and mint leaves
- Add remaining vegetables on top and spread evenly
- Add rest of the rice, saffron milk, coriander leaves, and mint leaves
- Put the lid on and seal the sides with an aluminium foil
- Heat a griddle/tawa on medium flame. Once it is hot enough, place the biryani pot on top of the tawa and reduce the flame to the lowest setting
- Let the biriyani cook on low flame for 20-25 minutes
- Turn off the heat
- Serve biryani with raita
Click here to watch veg biryani web story.