Veg Puff | Bakery Style Vegetable Puff step-by-step recipe with video and photos.
What is Veg Puff
Veg puff is a very common and popular snack sold in Indian bakeries. These crispy, flaky, and spicy vegetable patties are the perfect tea-time snacks. The filling of these bakery-style veg puffs is made with a spicy filling of mixed vegetables. They can be altered as per your liking. I use potatoes, carrots, green beans, and peas. Other vegetables like beetroot, corn, mushroom, etc. also work well.
What's not to love about them - use the vegetables you like, add or skip spices as per your preference, make ahead and store them. I use store-bought puff pastry sheets to make them, which means making these delicious goodies is absolutely simple and quick.
Read on for the ingredients, tips, recipe video and step by step pictures to make veg puff.
Puff pastry sheets: I use store-bought puff pastry sheets.
Vegetables: I use potatoes, carrots, green beans, and peas. This combination works very well; however, you may also add a few other vegetables like beetroot, corn, mushroom, sweet potato, etc.
Spices: The whole spices I use are cumin seeds and fennel seeds. The powdered spices I use are turmeric, chilli powder, and garam masala.
Onion and ginger: I use red onion and fresh ginger. You may replace them with brown/white onion and ginger paste.
Tomato puree: This not only forms the base of the filling, it also adds a nice deep colour to it.
Tips for making perfect veg puff
I am using three sheets of puff pastry here. The measurements used for the filling is sufficient for that. This recipe makes 12 veg puffs.
Do not add any water when cooking the vegetables for the filling. The tomato puree and water content in the vegetables are enough to cook them.
The vegetables should be cooked but not turn mushy. Make sure they are not overcooked or mushy.
Cut the vegetables in small cubes. If they are large, they may tear the puff pastry sheet.
Make sure there is no moisture content in the filling. If there is any water content, increase the heat towards the end of cooking the filling, to dry up any moisture.
You can alter the spices as per your preferences. For example, if you are making them for kids, you can reduce or skip the chilli powder.
Make sure the filling has cooled down completely before stuffing it in the puff pastry sheet.
Thaw the puff pastry sheets as per packet instruction, but keep a close eye on them. They should defrost enough so that you can work with them but also be cold when being handled. They will turn soggy if they are warm as the butter begins to melt. Also, this will make the veg puffs soggy after baking.
Cut the puff pastry sheets into squares. While working with one sheet, keep the remaining two in the refrigerator so that they remain cold. It is important to make sure they are cold when being handled and baked.
Pro-tip: Add 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup along with tomato puree for added taste.
You can bake the veg puff beforehand and reheat it before serving. Always reheat in a preheated oven or air fryer. Do not put them in a microwave.
Potato, carrot, beans, and peas are the vegetables most commonly used. Corn, mushroom, sweet potato, etc. also works well.
Veg puffs must be baked in a very hot oven. Make sure you preheat the oven for at least 10-15 minutes before baking.
The veg puff will turn soggy if the puff pastry sheets are left at room temperature for too long. Make sure the puff pastry sheet is cold when you are working on it. When working on one sheet, place the remaining sheets in the refrigerator so that they remain cold.
These veg puffs are:
- very easy to make and suitable for beginners
- ready in 30 minutes
- flavourful and delicious
- easily adjustable as per your liking and preference
- perfect with a cup of masala chai
Veg Puff recipe with step by step instructions
1. Heat oil in a frying pan, and add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Saute for a few seconds
2. Once it begins to crackle, add onions. Saute until the onion is translucent
3. Add the ginger and saute for a few seconds
4. Add tomato puree, turmeric, chilli powder, and salt. Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the spices are cooked
5. Add potato, carrot, green beans, and peas. Mix well
6. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are cooked well, but are not mushy
7. Add garam masala, coriander leaves, and lemon juice. Mix well and let the filling cool down completely
8. Cut each puff pastry sheet into four parts. Brush water on all sides of the sheet
9. Place 1-2 tablespoon of the filling
10. Bring the sides together and seal. Use a fork and press gently
11. Brush milk on the top of the puffs
12. Place on a lined baking tray and bake
13. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden
Veg Puff | Bakery Style Vegetable Puffs
For the filling
- 2 large potatoes cut in small cubes
- 1 medium carrot cut in small cubes
- ½ cup green beans cut in small cubes
- ½ cup peas
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon ginger grated
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or lime juice
For the crust
- 3 sheets puff pastry
- 2 tablespoon milk
To make the filling:
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Saute for a few seconds
- Once it begins to crackle, add onions. Saute until the onion is translucent
- Add the ginger and saute for a few seconds
- Add tomato puree, turmeric, chilli powder, and salt. Mix well
- Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the spices are cooked
- Add potato, carrot, green beans, and peas. Mix well
- Cover and simmer until the vegetables are cooked well, but are not mushy
- Add garam masala, coriander leaves, and lemon juice
- Mix well and let the filling cool down completely
To make the veg puff:
- Preheat oven at 220 C (430 F)
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into four parts. You should get 12 squares
- Brush water on all sides of the sheet
- Place 1-2 tablespoon of the filling
- Bring the sides together and seal. Use a fork and press gently (see step by step pictures above)
- Repeat with the rest of the sheets
- Brush milk on the top of the puffs
- Place on a lined baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden (see tips above)
- Serve hot with ketchup
Click here to watch veg puff web story.